So Many Secrets

Jules

I thought that everything going in on my head would make me have some sort of breakdown. Edmund was both making it better and worse. I liked him like, a lot. He made me happy, but that seemed to be the problem. At least I knew there were others like us now. Amishi and Akiko. I knew, for some reason, that I would no longer try to stop whatever was going on between Edmund and I though. Even though I had made up my mind about staying with him, I hadn't quit my job yet. I felt like there would be some sort of repercussions from quitting, even though I knew people quit all the time.

I didn't like the fact that Floyd was here somewhere. I had spotted him too, I just wanted to think that I hadn't. He had been leaning against the dirt walls of the track, smirking with his eyes fixed directly on me. He looked like he was up to something. I kept close to Edmund to make sure he didn't get cornered again. I could tell the mechanic was jittery. I had my arm around him to try and calm him down. We were huddled next to each other on the ground in our alcove.

Edmund looked around nervously. I figured he was looking around for Floyd until I felt him press a kiss to my cheek. He had been checking to make sure no one was watching us. I didn't particularly mind, but I wished we didn't have to be so careful. I wished our relationship wasn't so weird.

"Thank you," he muttered.

"For what?"

"For being here, for being you, for not hating me, etcetera," Edmund sighed.

I felt myself blush but I didn't try to hide my face. "You're welcome, I guess. I really don't try to do much, I just want you to be happy."

"You're so sappy," Edmund muttered, resting his head on my shoulder. "Never stop being so sappy, it's cute."

"Okay," I laughed. "You know, we probably shouldn't be sitting on the ground. We'll get filthy."

"We're already filthy," Edmund said, looking down at the smudges decorating his arms. He had his sleeves rolled up to his elbows because of the heat, allowing me to see the thin scars that remained on his left arm from his tumble off the balcony. It looked like the injury must have hurt a ton.

I traced my finger along one of the scars. "How long ago did this happen again?"

"Eight years. You should have seen what Amishi did to the guy who pushed me. I think she broke his nose."

"I like her."

"You have her to blame for me getting sick all the time."

"Why?"

"She's the one that taught me to sit outside when it's raining," Edmund chuckled. "I used to be terrified of thunderstorms."

"Phoebe loves big storms. I've hated the rain all my life," I admitted.

Edmund sat up to stare at me, his eyebrows knit together in confusion. "You told me you like the rain."

"Only when I'm with you."

"There you go being sappy again."

"You told me not to stop!" I pulled Edmund onto my lap, despite the July heat. July, wow. I had started working with Gears and Steam on June third, it was now July seventh. If I was still completing my mission, I would leave a little under a week from now. I wasn't leaving though. I'll go into town tomorrow, I decided.

Edmund fought to get away from me. "It's too hot for this, Julian!"

"It's never too hot for hugs," I argued, wrapping my arms around him so he couldn't escape and planted a quick kiss on his forehead.