Sad Song (Ft. Elena Coats)

About 10 years ago

8 year old Virgil Rodriguez and his best friend Thomas Sanders were goofing off in his front yard. "Virgil, can you please play something on your guitar?" Thomas asked. "Okay!" Virgil said, "But not now because my dad says he has a super special surprise for me!" "COOL!" Thomas cheered. "There he is!" Virgil said pointing to a man. The man resembled Virgil only much older and he had a scruffy beard. 

"Dad!" Virgil called waving to him. "There you are, Virgil." Mr. Alexander Rodriguez called back with a smile, "I see Thomas came over for the day." "Yeah!" Virgil said, "Where's the surprise?" "Okay, here it is." Alexander said putting down the long carefully wrapped present. 

"Open it." Thomas said. Virgil smiled and started to open it. He gasped as he opened the box. It was a beautiful black and purple guitar. 

"I-Is this yours?" Virgil asked his father

"I-Is this yours?" Virgil asked his father. "It was mine." Alexander said taking it out, "But now it's yours, Virgil." Virgil gasped as his father put the guitar in his hands. "Dad, I love it!" Virgil said with a happy smile and gave Alexander a giant hug. "I'm glad you do." Alexander said with a sad smile.

"Thomas, can you give us a moment alone together?" Alexander asked Thomas, "Maybe go and get your cards for a magic trick." "OKAY! Be right back!" Thomas said and ran to his house across the street to grab his cards. 

Play the music NOW!

"What's up, Dad?" Virgil asked. "Virgil... I may not be able to see you for your 9th birthday." Alexander said, "Or any of your other birthdays." "W-What?" Virgil asked. "I have to go away for a bit, okay?" Alexander replied, "I have to go away for a bit because I'm very sick and I want to get better for you." 

"Y-You're leaving?" Virgil asked with tears. "C'mere, Buddy." Alexander said hugging Virgil, "I don't wanna go either but I have too... so you have to stay with your Abuelita for a while." "B-But I don't want you to leave." Virgil cried. "Virgil... I'll be back as soon as I can." Alexander said, "For now... don't stop playing okay?" Virgil stayed silent. 

"Virgil, I have something else for you." Alexander said. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a locket. Virgil gasped. "I-Is that?" Virgil asked. 

"Yes, it's your Mom's locket." Alexander said as he put it around Virgil's neck, "She would've wanted you to have it." Virgil started crying and sobbing. Alexander started crying so he hugged Virgil. "I love you, Virgil." Alexander whispered. 

A few days later. 

Virgil stood outside with the guitar on his back and the strap over his chest. He wore a purple long sleeved shirt, ripped jeans, the locket around his neck, and purple converse. His longs bangs hanged over his eyes as he looked down. Today was the day his dad would leave for his treatments. 

Alexander gave Virgil a hug. "I love you, Virgil." Alexander whispered, "Be good for Abuelita." "I will." Virgil said, "Come back soon." "I'll try." Alexander said, "I'll call you everyday." "Promise?" Virgil asked. "I promise. Alexander said, "Goodbye, Virgil." 

"G-Goodbye, Dad." Virgil whispered. Alexander stood and got into the car Virgil's uncle drove. The car started and drove off. Virgil stood there with tears and started to run after it but could never catch up to it. "DAD! WAIT! COME BACK!" Virgil called, "DADDY! I STILL NEED YOU! DAD!" 

4 years later... (Virgil's 12 years old)

Virgil was strumming his guitar with his new friend, Patton Summers, and his old friend friend, Thomas Sanders, in his room. The house phone started ringing. "Dad!" Virgil yelled excitedly running to answer the phone. He picked it up with a smile. "Dad! How are you? Are you-Oh, Dr. Mirror, how's my dad?" Virgil asked. 

There was a silence. "Wait... what?" Virgil asked, "Is he... NO! Nonononononono! NO! I DON'T WANT TO DO THAT! SHUT UP! I REFUSE TO BELIEVE YOU!" Virgil slammed the phone down to hang up. He fell to the floor sobbing. "ABUELITA!!!!" Virgil screamed making Virgil's grandma, Patton, and Thomas run to him. 

"Virgil, what's wrong?" Melissa Rodriguez, Alexander's mother, asked him. "My Dad... h-he's in a-a coma...." Virgil cried. "Oh no." Melissa whispered and pulled Virgil into a hug. Patton gave him a hug too along with Thomas. Virgil sobbed. "Dad..." Virgil whispered quietly to himself.