Chapter 11

Mayleen's POV:

It's been almost a year since I've been working for Mr Grumpy.

"Office right now." Mr Grumpy said through the phone. You see why I still call him that. He hasn't changed a bit. I thought that the night he saved me, he would lighten up a bit, but was I wrong.

Speaking of that night, you may ask if I had told anyone about it, and the answer is no. Not even to.. Charlie. I don't want him to worry about me, or go as far as to come here. I need to show him that I can take care of myself. Which I can.

"Yes, sir?" I asked as I opened the door.

"Can you read through these papers, and make sure they are safe for me to sign." He said handing the papers to me.

"Yeah, sure," I said taking the papers from his hand.

"Good." He said flatly. Ok? Weird, usually he would give me the deadline for the papers. I was about to leave, when he added, "oh and I need it by 3 o clock." There it is. I sigh under my breath.

"Yes, sir," I said, before leaving. Jerk! He only gave me an hour to finish this stack of papers that looks like a novel. How'd he expect me to read through it carefully? You know what, whatever.

"What's taking so long?" He said, peeping his head out from the door, an hour later.

"Yes, yes, I'm almost done," I said rushing through the papers. I put them in two separate files. One for 'safe to sign' and one for 'not safe to sign'.

"Here you go," I said walking quickly to him. "Here's the one that is safe to sign, and this is the one you need to think twice before signing," I said handing the papers to him. He just nodded and went back in. No, thank you? Ok then.

I tried to finish everything early so I could catch the bus. I do not need a ride from someone who feels like they're forced to. I got up to my room. When I open the door, everything looks lonely and quiet. Usually, Sophie would be at my feet meowing for food. I smiled at the thought. It's been over a year and I still can't get used to this.

I took a nice hot bath while reading a good book. I like to do this when I come home early, it made me feel less sad about being alone. After an hour I finished and felt hungry. I went to the kitchen to see what I could eat. When I opened the fridge I saw Stouffer's Mac & Cheese. I smiled as I remember the first time Charlie and I hung out, watching movies for the whole day. I took it out and put it in the microwave.

When it was done, I took it out and went to the dining table. Looking down at my food, the only thought that came to my mind was, man I miss Charlie's home cooked meals.

After eating dinner I went to bed. I put on a t-shirt and long PJ pants. I checked the nightstand clock to see that it was 9.30. I turned the lights off and went to sleep.

Well... I didn't exactly go to sleep, as I could not. I kept on turning over, trying to get comfortable, and failed. After a while, I gave up. I checked the clock and saw that it was 10.30. Maybe some tea will help me fall asleep.

I got up and went to the kitchen. I already put the hot water and the tea bag in the cup, when I realised I'm out of sugar. Great, now how am I going to drink my tea without sugar. Should I go next door to see if Zac has some? No way.

I tried to drink my tea, but immediately spit it out. That tasted awful!

I ended up knocking at his door. He once said that if I needed anything I could go to him. And right now I need sugar. Plus, it's not working hour, which means he's just my next door neighbour and not my boss. I know its late, but I have a feeling he's still up. And I was right.