Skye's Gift

"Get lost, Andrews," said Skye shaking off the Ravenclaw Seeker that had wrapped his arm around her. "I don't associate with losers."

"Losers?!" said the boy. "In case you haven't noticed, Parkin, it's Ravenclaw's name on the Quidditch cup in the Entrance Hall."

Skye smiled. "That was before I came along."

As they left Andrews and his friends behind and continued down the lane, Sarah asked Skye, "Do you not get tired of that?"

It was a Hogsmeade weekend, and Sarah had managed to convince Skye to stop training long enough to grab a butterbeer. Sarah wanted to thank her properly for the help she'd given her to make the Gryffindor team. 

It took them a lot longer to reach the pub than Sarah was accustomed. Every few steps they were stopped by a student asking to take a picture with Skye, asking Skye if she could get them Ethan Parkin's autograph, or, like Andrews, attempting to flirt with her. 

"It's all part of the job," said Skye. "It's worse for my dad. He has to drink from his own flask whenever we go to restaurants. The number of times some deranged fan has tried to slip him a love potion..."

"Hardly seems worth it," remarked Sarah thoughtfully. 

"You better get used to it," said Skye. "Once season starts, I reckon you'll be almost as famous around here as me." She pushed the door into the pub. 

Sarah laughed. "I doubt it. I already have a reputation around here. A bad one." She was the cursed kid, after all. 

After they'd finished their butterbeers, they headed back outside and toward the castle. 

"Hang on a sec," said Skye, stopping in front of Quality Quidditch Supplies. "Let's duck in hear fore a minute."

They stepped into the shop and Skye took in a deep breath, much the way Sarah did whenever she stepped into a book shop. The store smelled of polished wood and leather. 

They poked about the store for a while, Skye explaining which models of broom were the best and which leather shin guards were worth the money. 

"Hey look, they've got your jacket," said Sarah, pointing to a model that was wearing the same jacket Skye always wore. 

"Yep," said Skye, walking over and feeling the sleeve. "I buy all my favorite stuff here, even my clothes." She paused, glancing at the jacket and then to Sarah. "Here, try it on."

Sarah slipped the jacket on over her gray hoodie. Sky tied the bottom into a knot like she did with her Gryffindor hoodie. 

"There," said Skye. "Now you look like a quidditch star as well. You should buy it."

"You want me to dress like you?" asked Sarah. 

"That's what girl friends do, right?" Skye asked. "I've never really had friends before. I was schooled by mum so we could go with my dad to all his matches."

"Yes, that's what girls do," said Sarah. "They also have slumber parties where they wear face masks and gossip about boys before they have pillow fights in their underwear."

Skye frowned. "Think I'll just stick to butterbeer and quidditch friendlies." Then she saw Sarah laughing and punched her on the arm. "You're taking the mickey!" she shouted. 

"Yes," she said. "Now, that is something that friends do. Girls or not."

She did buy the jacket, though, and wore it out of the shop as she and Skye headed back to the castle and yet more quidditch practice. 

Sarah smiled as Skye looped an arm through hers. She was glad Skye finally had a real friend, not just a bunch of fans who wanted autographs. 

She was glad that friend could be her.