Ben's Gift

A/N: In the game, the reward you get when you Max Level with Ben is your Hogwarts robes covered in the cursed ice from the vault, but I couldn't think of a logical reason in the story for Ben to give those to MC, so for my story I changed the item.

"Ugh!" Sarah groaned and sputtered, wiping the putrefying liquid from her face. "It got in my mouth!"

"Looks like I win again," said Ben, leaning over to collect his gobstones and put them back on his side of the circle.

They were sitting in front of the fountain of the courtyard, where they always played gobstones. Despite its reputation for being somewhat uncool, Sarah had found that all of her friends quite enjoyed the game, none more so than Ben. Sarah, on the other hand, was beginning to feel it had lost some of its charm, particularly now that Ben beat her nearly every time.

"Another round?" Ben asked.

"No thanks," said Sarah, still attempting to scrape the gobestone gunk out of her eyes as she stood. "I'm going to go grab dinner and try to wash this taste out of my mouth."

Ben scambled to his feet, clumsily shoving his gobstones into his bag. "I'll come, too. But first, I'd like to say something."

His face shifted back into its usual visage, nervous and strained. "I...I wanted to say thank you."

"What for?"

"Well, you know I don't really have any other friends. Everyone else has written me off for being such a coward."

"You're not a coward, Ben," said Sarah for the billionth time.

Ben smiled. "I kind of am, but that's what I'm talking about. You've always believed in me, and that means a lot. You inspire me to be braver...or at least, less cowardly."

He reached back into his bag and pulled out a particularly greenish gobstone. "My lucky gobstone," he said. He pressed it into Sarah's hand. "Here, I want you to have it."

"Ben, you don't have to do that," said Sarah.

"I want to," he said. "As a way to thank you for being such a good friend."

Sarah smiled and wrapped her fingers around the gift. "No thanks are necessary. You're more than you give yourself credit for. But I appreciate it."

"Besides," said Ben, looking her up and down. Her robes were still splattered with the gobstones' spray. "It looks like you need it more than I do."

Sarah laughed, making sure to pull Ben into a stinky, spray-covering hug before they headed back into the Great Hall.