Liz's Gift

Sarah trotted across the courtyard and hugged Barnaby from behind. "Alright, I'm here. What's this big surprise you've been going on about?"

She released him so he could turn around and smile at her just as Liz came around the fountain. 

"Oh, hi Liz," said Sarah. 

"Uh, hello," said Liz. 

It was clear neither of them had been expecting to see the other. Though they'd gotten off to a bit of a rough start, Sarah liked Liz; but when Barnaby had told her he had a special surprise for her later, she'd imagined they'd be alone. 

Barnaby was oblivious to the awkward moment. "You guys are gonna love this!" he said, looking back and forth between them with delight. "You know how Kettleburn has been gone for a few lessons?"

"Yeah," said Sarah and Liz together. They'd had a substitute all week, an elderly witch called Professor Grubbly-Plank. 

"Well, he didn't go far," said Barnaby. "He's been in the magical creature reserve!"

"Don't tell me he's lost the chimera again," said Sarah. 

"No. Well, maybe, but that's not what I'm talking about. He's been setting up a new climate and getting new creatures!"

Now he had the girls' interest.

"Yay!" Liz squeaked. "What kind of climate?"

"How did you find out about this?" asked Sarah. 

"It's snowy mountains! He showed it to me just this morning. And the best part is it's crawling with frost salamanders!"

Liz squealed again in delight. Sarah grabbed Barnaby's hand and was already dragging him toward the forest. "Well, let's go then!"

Barnaby laughed. "Hold on, there's something else. Something Kettleburn said..."

"Yes?"

"Hold on, I'm trying to remember. It was really important."

Barnaby tilted his head, staring at the clouds above like the words he was looking for were written among them. Sarah and Liz were quite used to this behavior, and they waited patiently for a couple minutes for Barnaby to remember.

"Lee, there you are!" 

Professor McGonagall was striding toward them from the entrance hall, looking even more stern than usual. "What are you doing out here? Have you forgotten that I'd agreed to let you retake your exam today?"

"Whoops," said Barnaby. 

"'Whoops,' indeed," said McGonagall. "You're very fortunate I bothered to come look for you. Now hurry up, you only have until dinner."

"But," Barnaby began, looking sheepishly back at the girls. 

McGonagall's eyes flashed. "'But' what? Do you not want to retake your exam?"

"Well, if I'm being honest..."

Sarah nudged him forward. "Go on," she whispered, not wanting to draw McGonagall's attention to her. "We'll see you later."