Chapter 6

"There you are." Liam looked up as Lily moved through the royal gardens, her dress swaying as she avoided treading on the plants around them. The darkening sky turned the flowers and trees into mournful shadows as Lily stepped around them to face Liam. "Xan was worried; he claimed you hadn't eaten."

Her voice melted with the dying birdsong that filled the trees, her hands resting on her hips as she gazed at him with poorly veiled concern. "I'm fine." He assured her, only to see her concern turn to annoyance.

"Those who are fine don't typically miss their meals. Is something troubling you?"

Liam crossed his arms, hesitating only long enough to wonder if he could get away with lying to her, but he knew she wouldn't be fooled. "I spoke to my father about Pierake," he began, looking away from her and towards the stone walls that secluded the garden. "He agrees with my earlier words."

He saw her tense, but when she spoke, her words were calm. "I see." Her hands dropped from her hips to dangle loosely at her sides. He barely noticed they were shaking. "I suppose nothing can be done since the king has ordered it so."

"Lily..."

"Although, I was hoping," she continued, "that a trip to Railark could be spared."

"A trip to Railark?"Liam turned to face her fully, caught off guard by the sudden change in topic.

"Yes, I haven't seen my family in some time, and if I recall, my brother is expecting his first child soon."

Nothing glimmered in Lily's eyes, no hidden deceit or crafted plan. Though the darkness nearly hid those green eyes from him, he was certain she wanted nothing more than what she asked. Still, he hesitated. The Lily he knew wouldn't have let the conversation change so easily; she would've fought for what she believed. She had to be lying, but with no proof, how could he call her on it?

He sighed. "If you go, I won't be able to come along. My father needs me here."

"I understand. The responsibilities of a future king are great." She smiled. She seemed far too pleased. "I am more than capable of traveling alone."

"Not alone." Liam protested. "At least take a couple of knights with you."

She sighed. "I will."

Now that he was paying attention, something did seem off about her. She was paler, her eyes dimmer, and she looked off into the distance like there was something she couldn't find the words to say. "Lily, are you alright?"

She flinched, guilt flashing in her eyes before it was gone, replaced by casual indifference. "I'm not the one missing my meals." She crossed her arms as if daring him to say otherwise. "Nevermind. I came to check on you, and since you seem fine, I'm going back inside."

As she moved to walk away, he grabbed her wrist. Silver sparks dug into his hand, and she spun around, anger lighting up her eyes. "You're not planning anything reckless, are you?" He asked.

She tugged her arm from his grip. "You don't trust me now?"

"It isn't that..."

She snorted, turning away from him. "I'm leaving for Railark in the morning. It is my family I wish to see, not a battlefield."

"I didn't mean to imply--"

"Yes, you did." Though she was smiling, her eyes still seemed angry.

"You will miss the rest of the tournament." He said, changing the subject. Anything to ease her temper. He didn't want to fight with her. Not now. "I'll have no one to watch me win."