Chapter 19

Basil twirled a tiny strand of magic around his finger, his eyes watching the entrance to the cave absently. Every once in awhile red sparks would dance across the entrance, protecting them from the heat of the erupting volcano. They were safe, for now, but the waiting was agonizing. Percy had either fallen asleep or was unconscious again after Basil had checked on the broken leg, tightening the loosening bandages to the point that it had made the young knight cry out in his sleep.

Owen sat across from him, his eyes closed. Now that the sun had risen, Basil could pick out bruises on the knight's face, a long cut down one cheek, and who knew how many injuries were hidden under his armor. It wasn't like the knight was forthcoming with any complaints so Basil could only hope the injuries weren't too serious. He couldn't do much even if they were.

"Shouldn't you be resting?" Owen asked without opening his eyes.

"Something about hiding in an erupting volcano makes it hard to sleep." Basil replied, his magic flowing easier than it had before. Some of his strength had returned, but he wasn't eager to move any time soon.

"Should probably stop using your magic, though."

The magic faded. "I'm fine." He leaned his head back with a wince. He brushed the side of his head gently, the dried blood coming off in flakes. It still throbbed, but to the point of irritating rather than excruciating. His left hand was swollen and bruised to a near purplish black, his fingers littered with small cuts as if he had tried to catch himself from going over the edge. He couldn't remember much of it, so he didn't know if he had.

"Let's hope so. You're the only one who knows their way around here."

Basil's eyes slid closed. "Won't matter if I know my way around or not. We still have to find the others, and I have no idea where they are."

"We could try the last place we saw them."

"Won't be there. They'll be looking for us. Probably just going around in circles."

"We are going to have to work on your pep talks."

"Mm."

"Are you in any pain?" Owen asked after awhile.

"If I was, I wouldn't tell you."

"You're just so pleasant to be around, you know that?"

"I'm not forcing you to speak with me. In fact, I'd prefer it if you didn't."

"Yes, but I'm bored."

Basil flinched, snapping his eyes open to glare at Owen when the knight's foot gently kicked at his own. "What are you? A child? Quit it." He pulled his knees up to his chest, wrapped his arms around them, and glared balefully at the snickering knight.

"Come on. Where's you sense of humor?"

"I must have lost it after we fell over the edge of a cliff."

"We didn't actually fall. The dragon knocked us over."

"Either way."

"Still can't believe there are dragons out there."

Basil snorted, picking at one of the scratches on his arm. "You're never going to move past that, are you?"

"Hey! Even you said you didn't believe in dragons."

He shrugged. "Yeah, but I can accept it. Like you said, I'm a sorcerer."

"Bet he'd accept the dragon more than you." Owen nodded towards Percy, and Basil tensed. "No one would blame you if--"

"Don't go there." Basil hissed. "He's a Railark knight. We're not leaving him behind no matter how he behaves."

"I'm just saying--"