Chapter 45

Liam jolted awake at the loud crash just outside the chamber door, his arms tightening involuntarily around Lily's waist. "What was that?" He whispered. Lily laughed, her warm breath rolling along his neck as she inched closer in his embrace.

"The twins have returned. I suspect they were taking the scenic route." She answered with a yawn.

"That doesn't explain the crash."

"Sure it does. There are always loud crashes when they're home. It's normal, trust me."

"Lily." He prodded her in the ribs, and irritated green eyes snapped open.

"Oh, fine. If you must satisfy your curiosity." She squirmed out of his arms and smoothed the wrinkles out of her silver dress as she stood. Her fingers brushed out her auburn hair, the tangled locks well past her shoulders now, and made a motion for Liam to get up.

He had just touched his feet to the floor when Lily strode over to the door and threw it open. Right outside was a servant girl hastily picking up broken dishes and scattered bits of food with Basil's help. Beside the mess were the identical twins and an unfamiliar young man who seemed ready to bolt at Lily's presence.

"What's going on?" Lily asked with her hands on her hips as Liam joined her at the door.

"The twins made Sara drop her tray--well, your--tray of food." Basil replied, casting a glare at his other two sisters.

"It was an accident!" Violet protested, and Acacia nodded her agreement. "Besides, you should already be up and about. It's well past noon."

"Yes, and I'd have liked to have spent the rest of the day in bed with my husband." Lily growled. "Not woken by your messes."

"Sorry, sorry." Sara said, her freckled face flushed with embarrassment.

"Not your fault, Sara." Basil replied, giving her a smile.

Violet snorted and crossed her arms. "Shouldn't you be busy with your many lovers?" She sniped.

Basil froze, and Liam caught the barest hint of green magic lashing around the younger prince. Beside him, Lily tensed, flickers of her own magic lighting up her hands. The tension was broken by a laugh from the quiet young man next to Basil. "She has a point." He murmured, a strange orange glow in his eyes.

"Don't you agree with her!" Basil told him, but he had relaxed, his magic fading. He picked up a shattered plate and placed it onto the tray along with the mess of ruined food and other shattered dishes. "You should be offended since she means you."

"Not anymore." The young man shoved his hands in his pockets.

"You two aren't together anymore?" Acacia's soft voice grew loud in surprise.

"Nope." Basil replied, standing and reaching out a hand to help Sara back onto her feet. She held the tray with shaking hands and looked down at the mess sadly.

"But you two are still friends?"

"Yes, of course." Basil smiled at the servant girl. "Sara, are you alright now?"

"Oh, yes, I'm fine." Sara looked startled at being addressed, and she turned anxious eyes onto Lily and Liam. "I'm sorry about this. I'll return and bring another tray right away, Milady. Milord."

"Take your time." Lily said. "Accidents happen plenty around here."

Sara nodded and walked away. The twins glanced at one another and casually inched away from Lily's chambers. "Wait, you two." Lily stopped them. "Shouldn't you go apologize to Sara?"