Chapter 12

The first touches of dawn streaked across the sky in cheerful colors of pink, yellow, and orange as Lily fought against a twisting in her stomach. She wasn't sure if it was her condition or if it was nerves, but either way, it didn't seem to matter. Sheer stubbornness won out as she tightened the saddle, earning a disgruntled snort from her horse.

"Stop complaining." She muttered to the beast, resting her head against its neck. The warmth steadied her, and she reluctantly pulled away at the sound of footsteps behind her.

The other members of her company had been running later than she would have liked, last night's banquet having been far too carefree. Yet despite her annoyance, she had been relieved to find the stables empty save for the horses. Not even the servants had been present, but now the town was coming alive as its people stirred from their homes as did the half-awake residents of the castle.

"Am says you've lost your mind." A tired voice said from behind her.

"Your words or hers?" She questioned, turning around to see Basil standing there in a simple black tunic and dark pants that made him look paler than he was.

He shrugged, pulling on a pair of leather gloves. "Does it matter? It's true either way."

"I thought you were bringing that kid along?" Lily changed the subject.

She saw guilt flash in his eyes before he looked to the ground. "I-I changed my mind." His voice was little more than a whisper. "He's safer here than with us anyway."

"So why make that promise?"

"I don't know. I guess I just thought he'd worry less if he thought he'd be going with us. Sounds stupid now."

"He'll forgive you, I'm sure."

Basil spared a small smile before he tensed, the sound of fully armored knights reaching them from the castle path. Eight knights stopped before them: Owen, Andrew, Aisha, and Joseph among them. At Sage's insistence, some of the Railark knights had allowed Lily and her two knights to borrow their armor. It was a little uncomfortable and tight, but at least it would keep them protected.

"Alright, let's saddle up." Owen clapped his hands together with a wide grin.

Basil rolled his eyes and turned away as a servant brought him his horse, a gray mare that nickered upon seeing him. "Thanks." He mumbled distractedly as he checked the saddlebags, clearly having prepared the night before.

The knights hurried about, some saddling their own horses while others had the help of some recently arrived servants. Lily glanced at Basil who seemed intent on his meaningless task. "What happened to your ring?" She asked, startling him into looking at her.

"Lent it to someone." He replied as if he didn't know why she had bothered to ask.

Lily didn't question it. "It's a shame that that someone couldn't be here to see you off."

A smile tugged at his lips. "He knows I don't like goodbyes," he paused as if weighing his next words, "and he doesn't exactly want everyone knowing who he is."

"If that were true," she told him in a whisper, "he would know better than to wear your ring in the marketplace."

His eyes widened in surprise, but before he could reply, the knights returned, each with their own saddled horse and all in full armor with the exception of Aisha. She wore the same lightweight armor as before, only this time, she had slipped on a different pair of metal boots that climbed up past her knees. Her dark hands stood out against the mix of silver and red armor that covered nearly every inch of her skin, her golden eyes staring unblinkingly up at the sky. Her lips turned down in a thoughtful frown.

Her armored skirt clanked against the tops of her boots as she mounted her horse, flashing the barely visible hilt of a knife strapped to the inside of her right thigh. She caught Lily's eyes with a grim smile. "Pierake is one of the most dangerous kingdoms to travel. It is best we be as prepared as possible."

"I know that." Lily crossed her arms, casting a worried glance back at her brother. He was the only one not wearing any armor--and the only one not a knight--but convincing him to stay behind or to even put on some armor would result in a pointless argument. One they couldn't waste time on. She had to simply trust he would stay out of harm's way if they did run into trouble.

As everyone mounted their horses, Lily motioned for Aisha to take the lead. She nodded once and moved past, her dark horse giving an impatient snort as if it couldn't wait to return to its homeland. No one spoke until they left the town behind, the sunlight hitting the trees just right, giving them a false sense of security.

To Lily, it felt like the split second of peace right before a war, the moment before the first set of swords met in battle. It was sweltering underneath her armor, but she still felt cold. Nervous. An odd sort of fear she couldn't remember having felt in some time, but underneath that was the familiar thrill of excitement.

It was broken by her brother's exasperated voice. "What are you doing?"

She glanced over to see he rode just a small distance behind, his eyes watching Owen who was nearly standing in his saddle. The knight swiped at a few low hanging apples on the trees they passed, almost losing his balance and nearly tumbling out of his saddle in the process.

"I missed breakfast." Owen replied. Before long, he had an armful of apples and bit into one happily.

"Well, at least that'll keep him busy for awhile." Lily muttered, shaking her head.

Juice dripped down his chin as he offered an apple to Lily. "Want one?"

"No. I'm alright."

"How did one like him even become a knight?" She heard Aisha muse quietly.

"We're still trying to figure that one out." Lily replied.

"Here. Catch." Owen tossed an apple towards Basil who caught it on reflex and stared like he couldn't figure out what to do with it. "You eat it. Like this." The knight demonstrated, earning a derisive snort for his efforts.

"I know how to eat an apple." Basil replied, turning away as he bit into it. He fed the rest to his horse.

They traveled in silence after a few aborted moves at conversation, everyone turning to their own thoughts. Most worried over what would be discovered once they reached their destination. Lily found her thoughts turning to Liam, and what he would say if he knew what she was doing. It wouldn't be pleasant, she knew that. She placed a hand over her stomach, a queasiness rising up inside her. She had a feeling her recklessness would soon be ended by something far more persuasive than his anger, and again, she wondered what he would say when he found out. What he would do. With all her current worries, that one scared her the most. She should have already known what he would say or do; he was her husband, her lover. She should know, but she already doubted their marriage, already doubted if she was even what he wanted anymore.