Chapter 41

Basil was content with sitting alone by the village well, perched on one of the large stones that rested there. He didn't expect his solitude to last, and when the sun finally rose to its highest point in the sky, a shadow fell across him. He looked up to see Lily standing there, appearing surprisingly hesitant.

"I didn't want to be bothered." He told her, hoping she'd just go away.

"I know," she replied, sinking down beside him, "that's why I waited a few hours."

He plucked at the bandage wrapped around his arm absentmindedly, stopping only when it started pulling at the stitches. "Basil." He looked up at the sound of his name, and Lily's eyes shown with a rare apologetic gaze. "I'm sorry about before. I should not have--"

"It's forgiven." He cut her off with a wave of his hand, looking down at the grass peeking through the soot, a trail of ants marching across it. Despite its initial appearance, Pierake wasn't completely barren.

He saw Lily from the corner of his eye pursing her lips in displeasure. Then her eyes flicked upwards, squinting into the brilliant sunlight. "Sybil spoke with Taylan not long after you left. They've come to an agreement."

Basil jerked his head up in surprise. "Really? I'm surprised. He certainly seemed less than thrilled with the idea of a queen for a mother."

Lily smiled. "I could hear him from the elder's door, already making demands of the queen. He insists on Tia and Alfonse remaining his parents, and he won't leave them for anything. Sybil has invited them to live in the castle with her."

"Their response?"

"They denied it at first, but then changed their minds so long as they are not treated as royalty. There's a bit of stubborn honor there."

"They believe in working hard for the things in their lives and won't accept anything less. They're very self-sufficient," he paused, "but I'm glad they've decided to stay with Sybil. I sometimes worry she's been lonely with nothing but knights and servants for company."

"From what I've heard, she enjoys solitude."

"Yes, but solitude is very different from loneliness. I should know."

"Basil..." Lily sighed and pushed on. "What the elder said...what did she mean by that? You denouncing the throne? I know you wouldn't accept Railark's, but I feel she meant something completely different."

Basil tensed. He should've expected this. "It's nothing. Doesn't matter."

"You know who your parents are. You've met them."

"Lily, just drop it. Please."

"From what the elder implied, I can assume they're royalty."

"Lily..."

"So, let's see..." She continued thoughtfully, ignoring his protests. "There are only seven kingdoms. We can rule out Pierake, Railark, Mercuri," she counted them out on her fingers, "and Wisteria. You're obviously not a druid, so there goes Eretai. Unless you happen to be one of Char's illegitimate children, that only leaves Elysium."

Basil shuddered at the idea of Char being his father, not even bothering to correct Lily on the fact that Eretai didn't even have a royal family since the tiny, secretive kingdom was ruled by druids. He also didn't bother calling Lily out on the fact that she already knew which kingdom he was from. He stood up, intending to leave when Lily reached out and grabbed his wrist in a firm grip.

"Just leave it, alright?" He told her, pulling his arm away. "It doesn't matter who my birth parents are when my family is you and Sage and the twins. Ambrosia. Even Bane."