The Love Potion

Chapter 3 - Kevin's girlfriend

After the shocking news I got from my visit to the magic shop, I wandered aimlessly through the neighborhood. My body was trembling; the dream with the yellow eyed Witch was still fresh in my mind. I tried blocking it out but the more I tried the more I remembered.

Finally I decided to go see Kevin for two reasons, one I needed to find out if he too had dreamt about the yellow eyed woman and had the same snake tattoo on his left wrist like me. The second reason was he had to know what had happened in the magic shop so we could come up with a plan to get ourselves out of this mess.

I had to sneak into his room because I didn't want to run into my dad and be bombarded with questions I had no answers to. When I got to Kevin's room he was wide awake and watching my favorite cartoons, Tom and Jerry; at least we had one thing in common.

"Did you have a dream about a yellow eyed woman?" He asked immediately he saw me by the doorway.

My eyes opened wide in shock, I hadn't exactly been expecting him to have that dream also. I thought it was just something I had gone through alone. Together we recounted the dream and realized the same thing we saw had happened in each other's dream and we both had the snake tattoo. We tried to understand the symbolism of the dream and tattoo, but the answers wouldn't come, it felt like we were trying to recall the answers for an exam we studied ten years ago.

"Did you go to the magic shop to reverse the love potion effect?" Kevin asked unexpectedly.

"Er about that when I got there, the magic shop had been broken into. There were cops crawling all over the place.  And I heard the woman who sold me the love potion is dead." I said uneasily, I knew he would be mad. I could see his facial expression changing.

For several seconds he did not speak, he just glared at me with disgust. It surprised me because a few seconds ago we had been talking like friends and discussing our snake tattoos.

 "You've doomed as all with your stupid potion." Kevin barked at me, I could see the raging storm gathering in his eyes. One after the other he hurled insults at me and then threw me out of his room.

"Don't you ever come back again to this place." I heard him say as I run out in tears. For close to twenty minutes I hid in a closet crying my eyes out, this wasn't my fault; I never planned for this to happen. Anyway the love potion must have not worked because Kevin did not seem to be in love with me, if anything I think he hated my guts. Which was why I didn't think it had worked, he should be down on his knees confessing his undying love for me and not treating me like crap. After a while I decided I was acting stupid. I got out of the closet and decided to go back to Kevin's room where I was going to give him an earful of what an ass he was.

I walked down the hall with my head held high, at the doorway I paused for a moment to take a deep breath before I entered. Giggles, there were lots of giggles coming from Kevin's room; I leaned closer to the door to see who Kevin was with. There was a red head girl sitting on Kevin's bed, whatever she was saying to him it was making him laugh silly. I stood there for god knows how long watching the two of them in rage and jealousy. He never laughed with me like that.

"Oh that's the girl who has been coming to see him since his accident I think he's going to ask her to marry him." Nurse Hilda said over my shoulder when she caught me standing there.

I didn't even exclaim at this piece of information, I already suspected it. I changed my mind about confronting Kevin, I didn't want to humiliate myself in front of his girlfriend, instead I decided out of impulse to go to the magic shop again. The girl who sold me the potion might have died but the owner was still alive, Zoë, I needed to see her. The potion may not have worked but I still think it's because of the potion that, the yellow eyed woman was after us, thus I needed to reverse it immediately. And again I didn't want anything to tie me to that ill-mannered boy; Kevin.