IX

"I highly doubt this is a good idea.", Brandon stated while they walked deeper into the forest. His heart was beating way too fast and he noticed he was sweating. He didn't want anything to happen to anyone - especially not Cassandra. She meant too much to him.
"It's our only shot.", Sam appealed urgently. "We have to try it."
He was right. They didn't really have choice. Their only remaining straw of hope was that Chuck would come with them so that they could sideline him until they found a way to ultimately stop him. Would be hard to work together with him for a while but they had to give it a shot.
Brandon just looked down on the ground. At least he was with them to protect Cassandra, right?
"Wait.", he stopped her and carefully took her arm, "Just give me a few seconds." I have to say it.
The whole group stood still and observingly looked at Brandon. What was he up to?
"I talked to Cassandra.", he snarled at them and signaled them to keep walking. This way none of their business. As they started to understand why they slowly walked away and gave Brandon and Cassandra space.
"What if we all die?", he asked her, looking deeply into her eyes. He just now saw that her eyes were filled with tears. She is scared, too. But she shook her head.
"You won't die. None of us will.", she assured him. Even though her eyes were teary she appeared to be quite confident over this.
That was the thing about her. She would never let anyone know about her insecurities. To strangers it appeared as if she didn't even have any but Brandon knew better.
"You can't say that.", Brandon replied and just as Cassandra wanted to counter something he kept talking, "Let's say if we die - I am not manifesting it at all, just the little, possible if - I can't die knowing I haven't told you everything. I want you to listen to me before all of this ends."
His eyes now were filled with tears as well. He usually was quite more emotional than Cassandra so it wondered him that she was the first to cry but it was probably because of the stress from the past couple of days.
"Brandon...", Cassandra started but he interrupted her.
"No, I want you to let me finish saying that before I break down our get too anxious and back off."
Brandon noticed how he started to shake. He shifted his weight from one leg to the other. I have to say it. Now.
"I love you, Cas."
It was all out and said. Tears streamed down his face.
"And now I don't want you to ever talk about that again.", he added with a grin and tried to wipe away his tears. "It's out now and I said it and that's it."
"I love you, too.", Cassandra said and Brandon looked at her in confusion. She didn't get it. Of course she didn't. They have been friends since years and suddenly Brandon confessed his feelings for her. In the middle of a forest, out of nowhere?
"I'm not talking about platonic, friendship kind of love, Cas.", he stated to make things clearer.
"Oh."
There now was an awkward silence between them. Brandon looked at Cassandra, expecting her to say something.
"What?", she asked after a while, "You told me to not talk about it."
She accepted his borders. She always did. Or maybe he just crossed one of hers and she didn't know what else to do.
She wiped the tears out of her face and Brandon did the same.
"But maybe you should stop loving me.", she said and new tears streamed down her face.
Brandon wanted to say he was sorry. That he didn't mean to pressure her into thinking she had to reciprocate his feelings. He knew she didn't love him. He always wished for it to be true, always saw her as more than just a hunting partner but she never had this spark in her eyes that he had when he looked at her. For her their relationship has always been nothing more than platonic.
"I know you don't love me back.", he said after a while, trying really hard to keep it together. A gust of wind blew around them, a few leaves fell from the trees. "I just wanted you to know in case I die today."
"Brandon, you won't die."
She couldn't know.
"We can't be sure if Chuck believes us. And let's be honest here: He probably won't. This whole idea is stupid."
He finally said this as well. He kept it inside for way too long.
It felt quite nice to just say all the things that needed to be said and not keep them inside. Sad he needed this mission to realise that.
Yes, he understood what Sam's plan was: To make Chuck think he had a family in them that cares about him. But Chuck was smarter than that. He would never believe the Winchester's wanted to offer him shelter. He would know it was a catch.
"It is stupid.", Cassandra said, now sobbing.
Then why did she agree on it?
"That's why I am going to do something else.", she continued, now even more scared than when their conversation started. Brandon now was even more alarmed.
"Cassandra, whatever it is: Don't do it."
He held her arm again, as if that would stop her. He didn't know what she was talking about but he knew immediately he couldn't let her do it.
"No.", she said. "It's the only way how I can be in control of what Chuck is doing."
Brandon looked at her curiously but even more anxious.
"How do you want to control Chuck? Cas, that's impossible!"
Cassandra shook her head. She actually had a plan.
"No, it's not.", she replied, "Sam was right. Chuck wants to be loved. He is alone and scared. He won't believe the Winchesters but maybe he is willing to agree on a deal with me."
No.
"I will go with him. I will tell him I love him because he saved me. You know, I'm into heroes..."
Not the right time for humor, Cas...
She grinned. The tears on her face were gone now. She was really serious about that plan. And sure.
And there was nothing in this world Brandon could do to stop her even though this idea was even more stupid than the original plan.
Yes, he got where it was coming from: She wanted to save the Winchesters and him but that was a suicide mission. If Chuck became suspicious during the first plan there would at least have been a group of five to try to stop him. If Cassandra pulled off her version of the plan she would be alone. Brandon, Sam, Dean and Castiel would have no chance to eventually save her.
"I will do it, Brandon.", she told him and followed the group again. He saw her from behind, how her blonde curls bobbed while she walked. „Don't even try to do anything about it."