XIV

Chuck took Cassandra to quite a few of his favorite places. Form London all the way to Los Angeles to Dubai to Austria to... the list was endless. Until they ended up in Bali.
"What do you say?", Chuck asked Cassandra as they stood on one of the whitest beaches Cassandra has ever seen in her life. Actually she hasn't seen many beaches - except for those Chuck showed her already. But she loved Bali. It was everything she ever dreamt of.
Cassandra had tears in her eyes.
"This place is beautiful.", she admitted, "Actually this whole trip is. Didn't think I would ever experience something like that in my life."
She felt how Chuck hugged her from behind. His warm arms were wrapped around her hips. She leaned in to him, knowing he wouldn't ever let her fall.
Chuck felt Cassandras blonde curls on the skin of his chest. It was windy so a strand of hair was blown into her eyes. Chuck stroked it out of her face with his thumbs which gave Cassandra goosebumps. The touch of Chucks fingers on her skin felt warm and soft. She felt safe.
They both just stood there, admiring the beauty of the ocean, feeling the warm sun kissing their skin.
"You know, the water is  just as blue as your eyes.", Cassandra complimented Chuck - or at least he assumed it was a compliment. She turned around in his hug, now facing him.
Chuck wrapped his arms closer around her, wanting to hold her like that forever. When he could admire her beauty that was all he ever wanted. He could never forgive himself how he ever wanted to hurt her. What has got into him? He was so stupid.
"Hey!", Cassandra interrupted his thoughts and stroked her thumb over his cheeks, "Don't cry!"
She gave him a warm smile. Just now he noticed he must have been crying.
He never cried in front of anyone but with Cassandra it was just different. He could be whoever he wanted to be when he was with her. She was his anchor, his sun, his light in the dark. His constant.
"I'm sorry.", Chuck whispered, leaning his chin on his chest, looking into Cassandra's eyes.
"Yours are as blue as the ocean, too.", he tried to compliment her as well, just realizing how awkward that must have sounded.
"Sorry.", he apologized again, "I didn't mean to sound weird. I just... I just don't flirt often."
He blushed.
"Actually never.", he continued explaining, "You're my first girl."
Cassandra chuckled.
"And hopefully the last!", she playfully stated and gave him a big, happy grin.
For her he was her safe place, too. When she was around him she didn't need to be the brave, strong woman anymore. She was allowed to be scared, not forced to fake strength anymore. Because she knew with him she was safe. He would always protect and love her.
Chuck kissed her and hoped deeply it was okay. The times they kissed before he would always give her the decision to decide when it's right to kiss him. He never did it first. But this time he jut couldn't resist. He loved this woman.
"Should I stop?", he asked after a while, truly concerned if it was too much.
Cassandra shook her head.
"No continue.", she said and smiled.
"For how long?"
"What?"
She laughed. She didn't understand what he meant.
"For how long?", he said again, as if that would explain anything.
"Forever.", she just said, as if she knew what he was asking. But with Chuck forever was always the answer, no matter what the question was.
She never thought she would fall for him but during this trip - as she got to know him better and better - it just naturally happened.
Chuck was a gentleman, with an actually good heart. He had his scars but so did Cassandra. But after all she could always be sure he would treat her right and that was the most important thing. With him she was safe.
They kissed and kissed for what felt like hours and all they both wanted was to stay in this moment forever, with the sound of the sea in the background, the salty smell in the air and the soft wind tickling their skin.
"Can't we just stay here forever?", Cassandra asked in between all these kisses. She felt her cheeks slightly hurting because of her never ending smile. She couldn't remember the last time she's been that happy.
Chuck kissed her again before he answered. He could smell her light strawberry lipstick on his lips, mixed with a bit of salt from the air. And he was obsessed.
"I wish we could.", he said and softly put her face in his hands, "But if we do you never get to see my absolute favorite place."
Cassandra looked at him, in surprise.
"This is not your favorite place?", she asked. She couldn't believe how this was not it. Bali was extraordinary and for sure her favorite out of the entire trip.
"Do you want to see my absolute favorite place?", he asked, already knowing the answer.
"And you promise me it's better than this?"
Cassandra turned around, looking at the beautiful beach again. The blue ocean, the white, soft sand, the high palm trees, the soft breeze in the air... What could possibly be better than that?
"So much better.", Chuck asserted and snapped his fingers.