Chapter 20 - Fallen Sakura

Do you see the Sakura trees? They're all gone. Just like her.

____________

     The once peaceful atmosphere had completely dispersed as a storm began to brew.

Nagisa sat idly by his apartment window, staring at the droplets of water rinsing everything in its path. Ever since what happened at the junior high school earlier, he didn't dare to wash his hair ever again. A sigh was apparent from his mouth as he sank deeply into his couch. Warmth had gradually attached itself to his skin as he sighed again.

"Karma... oh Karma..."

Nagisa had never experienced the sensation of having his hair kissed, but after experiencing it first hand, he couldn't help but sink into embarrassment. What was Karma thinking...

He was lucky to stay healthy after standing so still in the rain. I hope Karma's okay as well...

Out of the corner of his eye, a silky strand of pink hair caught his eyes outside in the rain. Is that...

     Yes, that was the sixteenth student of the Class 3-5 attendance, Sakura Nakaya. She was swaying diligently in the rain, allowing the rain drops to soak through her clothes and wet her hair immensely. Before Nagisa knew what he was doing, he had already raced out from his apartment and arrived in front of Sakura. Her face pertained a sense of loneliness and loss.

Nagisa's heart raced as he bit his lip, "Sakura-san, do you recognize me?"

Sakura smiled as she tilted her head, "you're Shiota-Sensei."

Nagisa nodded, "that's right, I'm Shiota-Sensei."

Sakura's lifeless eyes watered, mixing in with the rain, "do you see all the Sakura trees? They're gone. Just like her."

Before Nagisa understood what he was doing, Sakura was already wrapped in a towel and swayed side to side inside the entrance of his apartment. "Are you okay? It's cold outside."

"I'm fine." Sakura sighed, "but she isn't."

     Nagisa tilted his head in puzzlement, "who are you talking about?"

     Sakura smiled again, "my mom. She passed away ten years ago."

Nagisa went silent. Even though his own mother was fine, during his junior high time, he felt as if the soul of his mother had died out completely. He gently said, "I see. I'm sorry for your loss."

Sakura was quiet. She didn't say much afterwards.

"If you ever need someone to be there for you, feel free to find me, alright?" Nagisa asked.

Sakura nodded quietly. Her expressions was solemn—but Nagisa could tell the despair engulfing underneath.

The two parted ways, not an extra word was to be said.

The next day, Nagisa arrived at the school—his spirit drenched in cold and ear-splitting water. None of the students understood why, but their teacher seemed mysteriously... overwhelmed. "Shiota-Sensei." A girl headed towards him. Her name was Mirai Nishikawa—but the girl specifically asked for everyone else to forget about her last name. She didn't like it, and that was period.