Chapter 23 - Mutual Love

The two lovebird's date had slowly transcended from a cosy to a more talk-full day.

They explored the nearby market centre, scrolling around the products and buying whatever they desired. Nagisa held a strawberry cup of bubble tea, while Karma had his own share of blueberry. The blue-haired teacher could only question Karma's taste, while the latter insisted that the drink reminded him of a certain person.

Sweet, blue, and lovable.

Nagisa still couldn't guess who Karma was thinking of in the end.

"Ahh, there's nothing better than a cold drink." Nagisa sighed. He felt greatly soothed with the cold feeling in his belly while the sun warmly shone on his skin. Karma seemed to nod satisfactorily, however, he didn't forget to retort, "What about me? You're telling me I'm no better than a cold drink?"

Nagisa blinked. His cheeks flushed red. "That's not what I meant..."

Karma laughed, "I know. I was just messing with you."

The two continued their joyful conversation until they found the entrance of a small bookstore. Venturing inside, it emanated the smell of wooden chestnuts, accommodating their tastes perfectly well. Nagisa breathed in the nice wooden smell. It had the ability to calm one's nerves.

"What do you want to buy here?" Karma asked.

"Hmm... I need some more teaching material." Nagisa held his chin in thought. A small glimmer passed through Karma's eyes. Obviously, he was dissatisfied. Karma poked at Nagisa's waist, "What? This is our date... Nagisa should only think about me."

Nagisa blinked, partially shocked. Suddenly, he giggled, "so that's what you're unhappy about."

Karma pouted. Somehow, he felt like he was being treated like a kid.

"Then I'll buy a bookmark instead." Nagisa hummed, skimming over the bookcases that held products ranging from books to mugs. When he wasn't focused, Karma secretly bought a pair of accessories and stashed it into his pockets.

After their shopping, the two teachers stepped out from the bookstore.

Satisfied, Nagisa poked Karma gently. "Where are we going next?"

Karma smiled, "you'll have to put this on first." He dug out a small metal keychain from his pocket. A yellow octopus dangled from the chain, with the words 'Learn After Me' imprinted neatly on it. Nagisa found his heart warming up as he chained it to his jeans, a gentle smile on his face. "Thank you, Karma."

Suddenly, a light bulb went off in his brain as his face brightened by thousands. "Wait here, Karma!" He hurriedly raced into the bookstore, leaving the red haired teacher on the streets by himself.

When Nagisa came back, he held a similar yellow octopus keychain, clipping it onto Karma's clothing.

"Now we match." He smiled.

Karma's cheeks heated up as he nodded, "thank you, Nagisa."

*****

The two continued strolling until they ended up at an alleyway.

It was beginning to darken, as the sun sank down the horizon, vanishing away from passerby's sights. Nagisa almost couldn't see it clearly anymore, while the moon arose instead. "It's almost nighttime." He pointed out. In other words, he meant 'it's getting late'. The date was going to end soon.

"Wait here for a moment." Karma flashed him a quick smile, "I promise I'll be back soon."

He was true to his words. Karma didn't dare to leave Nagisa alone for long. He left for a minute, then came rushing back. A bouquet of romantic red roses bundled up in his hands, thrusting out towards Nagisa's wide blueberry eyes. "Karma?" Nagisa squeaked.

He shrank back towards the wall, his back hitting it as a result.

"Nagisa!" Karma mustered up his courage. He puffed out his chest, like a hamster imitating a lion. "Since this date is about to come to an end, I'll summarize this entire trip for you."

Question marks became visible on top of Nagisa's head. He tilted his head, showing his puzzlement. "What?"

Karma smiled, "today has been a great day. When I picked up Nagisa from his apartment, my heart had been rapidly beating. I thought for a second that the entire world could hear it, but you didn't react to it, so I guess not. I wondered if you thought the car was fashionable enough. You didn't seem to mind. I complimented you on your clothing, and when I realized you were asking me about the glasses, I was... truthfully, embarrassed."

Nagisa stiffened. He had no idea Karma could get embarrassed!

The red haired teacher continued on, "I liked it when you get embarrassed. I liked teasing you so I could see you getting shy. When you're embarrassed and shy, you puff out your cheeks like as if I found out about your secrets. It's really adorable and I like it. When I princess carried you, you were really light. I liked how you'd snuggle in closer to me because you were afraid of falling off."

Nagisa puffed out his cheeks, "that last part... that isn't true!"

Karma laughed, "okay okay."

Suddenly, his smile widened as he shoved the bouquet of roses into Nagisa's arms, "Will you please be my boyfriend?"

Nagisa's eyes trailed up from Karma's shoes to the tippy top of his hair. A bashful smile fumbled on Nagisa's face as he blushed. "I have three words for you, Karma."

"It's mutual love."