death?

Stella

I was in a boat, I was shaking, arms wrapped around myself. It was cold, somehow, yet it was the unknown part that terrified me the most.

I was helped ashore by a cold hand. Goosebumps raced across my skin.

I was not supposed to remember this, I was dead. Wasn't I?

I shuffled along with the other travelers. The journey didn't feel as troublesome as it had felt the last time. I'd walked then. We came to a halt in front of a huge house. It seemed old fashioned. Huge white marble columns.

A man was standing on the steps before the house. He was tall, dark, wearing a black t-shirt, normal jeans and shoes. His hair was dark, it was in a bun, so I assumed it was long.

Who was he?

Where was I?

He called our names. One by one, each and every one stepped forward by turn.

I stepped forward when my name was called.

His eyes were dark. And somewhere, in the back of my mind, had I been fifty years younger, he would be attractive. He reminded me of my husband.

He told me something, and I was sent away.

The land seemed deserted, even though there were trees. We walked in a group, not many talked.

A castle was looming in the distance, and we reached a small town, or so it appeared.

I got my own room, a single bed, a bathroom and nothing more. The man in the suit announced dinner would be served at six. I found the clock on the wall in the room.

What now?

I sat down on the bed, and lay down because I was tired.

My brain felt like a big fuzzy mess. Everything felt like candy floss or something like that. My eyes went to the clock. Fifteen to six.

I stood and went to the bathroom.

I took a glance in the mirror and gasped. I was not... me.

I looked like my daughter, or like how I looked when I was in my mid-twenties. What was this? A dream?

I pinched myself, and it hurt, I didn't wake.

No dream?

I hurried to the dining hall, noticing only a handful of others were there.

A young woman, she was probably my age now, mid-twenties, was serving food. She was pregnant, though not in a way where I sensed she would pop the baby any second.

I was shaking.

She had white hair, pulled back in a clip, and kind eyes. Somewhere between dark and green. Something about her seemed familiar to me, but I couldn't place it.

"What is this?" I whispered.

She smiled. "Stella, when you have dinner, you will understand."

I nodded and accepted the food she handed me.

I sat down, alone, and slowly ate my food.

What was this? I barely tasted the food, I only ate it because I had to, and I could feel I was hungry.