Thea

Hades

I muted the door before helping Eileithyia with whatever she wanted me to. She had told me before she admired how compliant I was when I was helper only. I was no expert, and I gladly handed the reins to someone who knew more when the situation required it.

Melinoë backed away from Macaria, her lip between her teeth.

I held Macaria's hand.

Some births took forever, others no time at all. Macaria's labor took a while, but not forever. I noticed Stella sitting on the floor in the corner of the room, arms wrapped loosely around her legs.

"It's a girl!" Eileithyia announced a little later.

"Can I?" Macaria asked and reached for the baby.

Eileithyia wiped off some blood and handed her to Macaria, snipping the umbilical cord as she went.

I looked at Macaria with her daughter in her arms. Matthew leaned into them, looking too.

I leaned back.

Macaria looked at me. "She looks like you."

Hardly. Babies didn't take shape after anyone for the first few weeks. Months.

Macaria handed me my granddaughter.

I held her in my arms and smiled. She was beautiful, but I couldn't say if she looked like anyone just yet.

A hand met my shoulder.

I looked up at Stella.

"We had kids on Earth?"

I nodded and looked at the little bundle in my arms.

"One and then twins," she said.

"Yes," I sighed.

"What were their genders?" she asked.

I leaned slightly back against Stella. "I don't remember," I answered truthfully. "When they someday die, I'll be able to spot them, but that will be it."

Stella gently stroked the baby's face.

"We need a name," Matthew said softly and kissed Macaria on the cheek.

She looked at him, almost adoringly. I looked up at Stella.

"I'm sorry, but it goes against the laws to tell you anything." I said.

She nodded but moved her hand from my shoulder.

Eileithyia helped move the sheet and Matthew put on a new. No blood or anything anywhere

Macaria was propped against a pillow, holding her baby to her chest. The baby's little mouth was sucking on her nipple, her tiny hands on Macaria's skin.

I wanted to hold Stella close, but she was back to sitting in the corner.

"Maybe you should check up on Stella," Melinoë said softly next to me. "It must be weird to remember you had kids, but then not being able to remember anything."

I looked at Stella in the corner.

Melinoë