servant

Stella

I had no idea how I had the nerve to do this. While he might be some sort of crush, he was also the God of the Underworld. Yet, I needed to know. I needed to know if Zagreus had told the truth.

I didn't think he'd lie, but at the same time, why wouldn't he want his father figure to be happy?

Not that I could see how I played a part in that.

Hades looked tired. Too tired. It, sort of, worried me. Had he been sitting on the road all night? Just sitting there? Why?

"It surprised me you left," he said and cast his gaze down.

That made no sense. That surprise would normally, for me, turn into a sort of 'well, I'll see said person tomorrow' or whatever. But he'd chased me on that black horse. That horse scared me.

"But you knew I'd come back for work." Maybe not.

"Did I?" he asked and looked at me.

I was the one to hesitate now.

Hades leaned into me, his hands on the table on either side of me. "Please, don't run out of here."

He was so close. His eyes so dark. And I wanted this to be more than just a crush! Then again, he was a God, and I was just a dead human.

But he was so close. If I lifted my hand, I'd be able to touch him now.

He didn't move.

I was trying to remain unfazed. It was hard. He was so close, I could almost smell him.

He blinked and looked at my lips before meeting my gaze again.

"Someone's coming," he said when he stepped back.

He leaned against the counter, arms crossed. His expression was cold, so he could easily pass ass being seriously pissed.

Persephone entered. The smug look on her face was still there, though she tried to keep it in check when she made herself a quick cup of tea before leaving.

The door fell shut.

Hades looked at it before looking at me.

I moved to the edge of the table.

Hades stood before me. "The door is soundproof. And locked." He placed his hands on either side of my thighs and leaned into me. "Stella, please, don't listen to her."

I kissed him.

He didn't respond.

Crap! He couldn't just get me interested and then pull back. I pulled back. I didn't want to look at his face, but I had no choice, as his face was so close and I couldn't close my eyes. I didn't want to!

His eyes, so dark, and so close, were wide open.

Cupping my face, he pressed his lips to mine. It felt like that moment of pulling away lasted forever, when in reality it only lasted a few moments.

I leaned into him.

He fisted his hands in my hair, pulling me closer, dominating the kiss. I held onto his wrists and somehow managed to wrap my legs around his waist. I wanted to keep him here. To feel him meaning this.