acclimatization

Hades

I stretched my back before halfway running up the steps. I went inside, instantly aware that there was someone present who wasn't usually here. Not Matthew, I'd gotten used to him. But a girl? Stella?

I went to the kitchen and peaked into the room.

Wearing an apron, her brown hair in a high ponytail. Her leather jacket was on a chair, I could just see it. The kitchen smelled heavenly.

I went to Macaria and Matthew's room.

"Macaria?" I asked while knocking.

She opened the door a moment later. "Yes, Hades?"

"Why is Stella in the kitchen?"

She smiled sweetly. "Because she's our new kitchen help."

I scowled at her. "Why?"

"She came here. She can remember too much about her Earthly life, still, so I figured this would be a sort of distraction." She smiled. "I can always fire her."

I shook my head no. "Don't bother."

Macaria bit her lip. "Hades, she needs someone there. She's been here before, it's destined to inflict something. She was here for a while, and that requires more before she's acclimatized to being here again. As dead."

I nodded. "I know. I don't want to see her, is that weird?"

Macaria shrugged. "You're not over her yet, so it makes sense."

"Thank you," I said.

"I've told her to leave the dinner, we'll make sure it's soaked so she doesn't have to clean too much tomorrow."

"Thank you," I said.

"And she's biking to and from town, I think she's still scared of the horses."

I smiled. "Yeah, probably," I admitted.

Macaria nodded. "See you for dinner, Hades." She went inside and shut the door.

I nodded at the closed door and went to my study.