familiarity?

Stella

I was living in a flat, next to a girl with two kittens and a lack of the term 'personal space'. She wanted to know everything about me.

I enjoyed spending time with people, but this was too much.

I ventured further from town and breathed in the smell of open lands. There was a forest to my left, the castle somewhere to my right, though I couldn't see it as of right now.

It had been weeks now, and my overly chatty neighbor had told me this was it now. We could reset everything if we wanted to, and most did at some point to clear their minds. They would maybe remember family when they arrived, but then again, I'd met my Mom, and she didn't recognize me whatsoever.

So it might be for the better?

My memories from Earth faded slowly, letting me know they were disappearing, as I had come up empty handed with memories I was sure I remembered.

I wanted to wrap my head around everything, but right now I couldn't. Not with her constant chatter.

I followed the road, not asphalt, but a road of gravel leading away from the town. Cars weren't a thing here, though there were busses, trains and bikes.

I stopped and peaked back. The town was still visible, and the sun was in the middle of the sky, so I wasn't unsure of whether I'd be able to make my way back or not.

I sighed and continued following the road. Once or twice a person passed me.

Clearly, you weren't supposed to leave town, no mode of transportation led away from town. At least not this way. I could go back to Ancient Egypt if I wanted to, but that felt a little weird to see that. They had made a museum of some sort.

I continued walking.

My legs tired – it was weird how I felt when I was young. At least what I remembered of it.

I kept on walking.

The castle came into view, and when the road led in two directions, I continued up towards the castle. Something about it felt... familiar? I'd never seen that kind of building before, it was huge and sort of gothic, but then not at all at the same time.

I got closer to the castle with each passing step, until I reached the steps leading to the front door. I had packed a small lunch, so I sat down on the steps and ate my food.