threats

Melinoë

I met Persephone right outside Hades door. Right now I didn't acknowledge her. I walked around the corner and waited. She knocked on Hades' door.

When the door opened, I peeked around the corner.

She was standing in the doorway, or my vision was fucked.

"Can I come in?" she asked.

"Melinoë has told me about the verdict," Hades said. "What do you want?" his voice was soft, not at all pissed.

"To talk," she said.

The door was shut, and Persephone wasn't in the hallway. Not fair.

I went to the door and sat down on the floor right before it. I could hear their muffled voices, not what they were saying. I was oddly protective of Hades, but he'd always been there for me, so obviously I didn't want to see him hurt.

Yeah, yeah, cliché about the tough girl having a soft spot. At least it was my father I went to and not some douche who'd just hurt my feelings.

I was picking at the ends of my hair when someone walked by and stopped, their feet in my field of vision.

I looked up at the person. "Luke," I said. Yes, one of the four evangelists. He was relatively tall, with dark eyes and dark hair, his skin tone a very light brown, just enough to make him differentiate from my own super pale skin.

"What are you doing here?" He asked.

"Persephone went in there, I was hoping to see Hades, so I'm waiting," I told him. Obviously.

He gestured to the empty spot next to me. "Mind if I join you?"

"You need to see Hades or Persephone?" I asked.

He smiled and sat down. We wouldn't touch even by accident. I liked that.

We sat in silence for a long time, I was staring at the wall.

"Uhm, I was actually wondering if you could help me," he said.

I turned my face to stare at him.

He briefly looked at me before turning his attention to his hands. He was toying with something that looked like a bracelet.

"Help with what?" I asked sharply.

He handed me the bracelet. It was hanging in the air between us as I didn't accept it.

"I found it in Matthew's room up here, and I know he wants for Macaria to have it." Luke said.

I held out my hand, and he let the bracelet fall into my palm. The bracelet was just Macaria's style. Not too shiny or blingy, but with pearls sort of mismatched, but then again with a sort of symmetry.

"Why doesn't he give it to her himself?" I asked.

"He's in the Underworld," Luke said. "And he's determined to stay until she's given birth. He asked me to hand it to anyone going to the Underworld."

"So you were actually meaning to speak to Hades." I muttered.

"Nah," he said. "I knew you were here."