joys?

Hades

I was in Olympus in no time at all, breaking my own personal record without even trying.

Persephone was strolling leisurely down the hall, seemingly oblivious to my rage.

I stormed past her and into Macaria's room, not bothering to knock.

She was on the bed, on her side, face flushed though she wasn't crying. The door fell shut behind me, creating an eerie silence, only broken by my labored breathing.

Macaria looked at me, her dark eyes almost sad.

I sat before her bed and gave her hand a squeeze. "Are you okay?"

She nodded. "Just pissed."

I patted her hand before standing. Gently I sat down on the bed next to her.

She put her hand on my lower back. "I'd much rather hear what happened between you and Stella."

I looked back down at Macaria. "She fled the castle. I know she's back now, but she still fled."

"She's alone there?"

I nodded. "I need to have Zagreus or Melinoë get there, I think."

"Why are you here, Hades?" Macaria asked.

"Because I saw Persephone's smug face, as she told Zeus, I'd made you hate her."

Macaria sighed. "They should know by now, that you don't force anything on people."

I smiled. "I'm still the villain, remember?"

She sighed and sat, her hand on her belly. "I want to go home," she said.

I turned so I was face her. "Have you resolved anything?"

"No," she said. "But I know you can lock the door, so only a selected few can enter. Make it soundproof too."

I smiled a humorless smile.

"I will try, but she won't listen, Hades." Macaria said. "Eileithyia agreed with me, that if I don't want her there, she shouldn't be there." She crossed her arms. "Two midwives with as strong opinions as Eileithyia and Persephone is never a good idea."

I nodded. "Zeus can't force you to choose any one you don't want to."

She smiled a sad smile. "I know," she said. "But I can't have Persephone there."

I nodded, I understood.

Macaria got out of bed and pulled me along. "I need you support." She dragged me out the room and back to Zeus' office.

"He'll get tired of us soon," I warned.

"So?" Macaria said. "He's the one who gives Persephone too much freedom."

I gave her hand a squeeze, as she barged into Zeus' office.

Persephone was there, looking devastated and sad. Her shoulders slumped, and she kept her gaze at her fingers.

"Hades," Zeus said in greeting. "Macaria." He sighed.

She let me go, and I shut the door, waiting at the far end of the office. This was not my business, honestly. But Macaria was my daughter, and I knew Persephone better than most, so of course I was with Macaria on this one. On the other hand, why I would fight against my pregnant daughters wishes when they wouldn't put anyone in danger, I didn't know.