20

I looked around the room for Griffin. When I spotted him, I practically sprinted to his side.
"Can you take me home?" I asked, tugging on his hand.
He nodded. "Is everything okay?"
I shook my head no, but I didn't offer any further information. He laced his fingers in mine, and we made our way to the front door. I made a mental note to text Addison later.
When we finally made it out of the house, Griffin and I walked across the street to get into his car, but we were unfortunately stopped by Fletcher.
"Hey, guys. Why aren't you leaving with Blake, Tiffany?" he asked.
"I wasn't feeling well, and Griffin was leaving, too. He just offered me a ride."
"Is everything okay with you two? It seemed a little tense up there on stage tonight."
I nodded. "Everything is going just fine, Fletcher. Now if you'll excuse us, I'm really not feeling well." Griffin opened the car door, closing it behind me as I got in.

"Are you okay?" he asked, taking my hand in his as he drove.
I shook my head. "I don't think that I can do this anymore."
Griffin slowed down, pulling into a parking lot. "You can't do what anymore?"
"I can't pretend. I can't pretend that I'm in a relationship with someone that makes me hate myself for putting myself first. It's not fair," I said, choking out a sob.
"What do you mean? Explain," Griffin said, wiping a tear from my cheek.
"I can't pretend that I'm dating him anymore. It hurts me so badly that I'm still hopelessly in love with him, and this is all just a stunt to him." Griffin sighed. "You don't want to hear me say this. I'm sorry."
Griffin cut me off. "Don't apologize. I'm your friend first. I will always be here for you, even if you're crying over another man."
I couldn't control my sobs. "What is wrong with me? Why can't the people I love love me back?"
Griffin wrapped his arms around me. "There's nothing wrong with you, but I do want you to do one thing for me. Call Sean. Right now."
I looked up at him, confused. "Why am I calling Sean?"
"Because you shouldn't have to put yourself through this for anything, especially not something as silly as your following."

He was right. I dialed the phone without another word. "Sean?"
"What's going on? Why are you calling me so late?"
"Sean, I can't do this anymore."
Sean gasped. "Where are you right now? I can help you."
"No, not like that, Sean. I can't pretend to be with Blake anymore. It hurts, and my mental and emotional health is worth more to me than my following."
"I understand. I'll set a meeting up for tomorrow. Can you come in at ten? I'll have Blake come in at ten-thirty."
"Thank you, Sean. I'm sorry to disappoint you."
"Hey, don't talk like that. Putting yourself first doesn't disappoint me."
I thanked him again before hanging up.

I turned to look at Griffin. "You're too good to me, you know that?"
Griffin nodded. "I am pretty great, huh?"
"You're ridiculous," I said, playfully hitting him. "Can I stay with you tonight? I don't think that I'm ready to be alone."
Griffin nodded, restarting the car and taking my hand in his again.
We drove in silence. Griffin made me feel safe, even if he knew that I was still hung up on Blake.

When we got back to the Sway house, Griffin threw me a hoodie. "You can sleep in this."
I put the hoodie down, hugging him. "Thank you," I whispered into his chest. I changed, curling underneath his blankets. He laid down next to me, pulling me closer to him. The smell of his cologne lingered, and it was intoxicating. I drifted off to sleep, curled up in his arms.

Griffin was shaking me awake. "It's nine-fifteen. I know that you have your meeting with Sean today. You can take my car."
I thanked him, getting up and pulling the pants that I had borrowed from Addison back on. "I'm gonna stop at Starbucks before my meeting. Thank you," I said, kissing his cheek.

I pulled into the Starbucks drive-thru. "Welcome to Starbucks. What can I get started for you today?"
"Hi, can I get a venti caramel cold brew with salted cream cold foam?"
The barista asked for my name and told me to pull forward. "The person in front of you paid for your coffee. She said that you've been a really big inspiration to her."
"That's so sweet. Can I pay for the car behind me?"
This little act of kindness made all of my recent sadness disappear a little bit.

I drove to Sean's office, walking up the stairs slowly, nervous about what would be said in this meeting. "Hey, Lindsey. Is Sean ready, or should I wait out here?"
Lindsey looked up at me. "He's ready. Go ahead."
I walked down to the doorway of his office, knocking softly on the open door. "Hey, Sean."
"Tiffany, go ahead and sit. Let's talk." I sat down in the chair across from his desk, the very same chair that I had sat in when we concocted this mess six months ago. "How long have you been feeling like this?"
I shrugged. "A few months. I thought that I could be neutral, but it's proven to be really, really difficult. I have to put on a happy face for these fans, and it kills me because I have very real feelings for him."
Sean nodded like he understood. "Blake should be here any second now. We'll go over how to make this breakup go smoothly, okay?"
Before I could nod, there was a knock on the door. I turned to see Blake. Sean motioned for him to come in, and he sat in the chair next to me. He looked back and forth between Sean and me.

"What's going on? What made this meeting so urgent?"
I looked down at my hands. "I can't do this anymore," I whispered.
"Oh, so you got Sean involved to make this breakup official, huh? God, you are a child," Blake said, chuckling.