#23 ~ Battle

_________________________________

The stands of the Magift Training Grounds were filled with the excited chatter of the first and second year students from Savanaclaw. Silence settled in when Leona dragged himself to the middle of the field, his eyes still lidded with tiredness.

"Listen well: the school year is almost over and Crowley won't leave me be until I choose a new dorm leader. If any of you considers themselves worthy, come down here and try to defeat me." 

A wave of whispers rose from the crowd. It didn't take long before a second year student decided to break the ice.

The first fight began. Blizzards dashed towards the sleepy beastman. With a single wave of his staff the blizzards scattered, melting. The boy couldn't even prepare the next spell before a blast of leaves made him fall on the ground. Twice.

***

Student from both years failed one after the other. No matter how strong their attacks or unique magic were, the battles wouldn't last longer than a couple of minutes.

"Tch, that's it? I'm barely doing anything, yet none of you defeated me?"

Someone yelled from the stalls: "Why don't we have Howl give it a shot?"

"What?!" Jack's ears twitched. A few voices from the younger students began to chant his name, soon followed by the whole audience.

"Come on, now that you have the chance you're scared to fight your dorm head?"

Snarky comments like that kept increasing, making a low growl escape the boy's throat, his eyebrows furrowed.

"That's right, Howl" a smug smile appeared on Leona's face "Won't you challenge me now that I ask you to? Or perhaps you are scared because your herbivore friends aren't here?"

At that Jack was about to snap. He got up, making his way towards the field.

"So? Waiting for special invitation?"

A gust of wind and leaves came as a response, another attack Leona repelled with ease. His smile turned into a grin, seeing Jack struggling to attack him whenever he had the chance, switching fast between attack and defence.

But his opponent's behaviour soon began to annoy him. His attacks are weak... is he even trying?

Leona swiftly dodged another fire blast before he hit the ground with the staff. Small cracks appeared between him and his opponent. Before Jack could notice, branches sprung out the cracks, trapping him inside and unbreakable cage.

"And here I thought this would be nice fight..." Leona left out a sigh as the fight came to an end. 

He was about to walk away, but after only a few steps something grasped his ankle. He tried to shake off the feeling, without succeeding. He then looked down, realising that small vines were trying to climb on his legs and staff.

"What the- who's helping him?" 

In that single moment of distraction, the cage of branches crumbled behind him. 

The next second he was on the ground, a giant white wolf towering above him, leaving him unable to move.

_________________________________