⚠ #29 ~ Ignihyde

implied death (up to reader's interpretation) ⚠

Unspecified monster hunter MC (they/them)

No beta we die like men

_________________________________

The golden light of the lanterns dispersed in the cold fog, the laughter of the citizens and the sweet scent of caramel rising in the air. 

Young and old disguised as creatures of the night walked past the young slayer and their steed as they stepped into the small city's streets, crowded by the stalls and the performers. 

A distant silhouette caught their attention. It was the shadow of a child, wandering among the streets wearing a black armour and a jack-o-lantern on his head.

It could be a costume like any other, they thought, but that blue light seeping through the mask is telling me otherwise...

The kids surrounding him disappeared among the crowd, leaving the mysteryous shadow to wander alone in the dark of the alleys. He soon left the village behind, the blue light of his head shining in the mist. Little did he know about the shadow lurking behind him...

At the bottom of a dead tree, not too far away from the old bridge, he put his small sack down, reaching out for the candy he collected that night. He was so caught in the small treats that shone like jewels in the dim blue light that he remained oblivious to the figure approaching him from behind.

They were so close to the little boy, reaching out to take the jack-o-lantern off his head, until a shiver crawled down their spine, electricity spreading through their entire body.

They turned around, only to see a knight riding a skeletal horse stood at the opposite side of the bridge. A similar jack-o-lantern hid his face, blue light shining through its carved eyes, staring. 

They slowly backed away from the kid, walking back to their horse as the horseman just stood there, staring, following them with his gaze.

They walked away from that bridge, walking next to the dark river. Even so, they still felt the gaze of the horseman piercing through their back. He was still there, petrified, at the other side, while the little boy hummed in the distance.

The bridge was already lost in the fog. They sighed in relief.

When they turned around, their whole body shivered, the horseman staring at them from behind. 

The horse increased its pace, galloping in the night. Their heart hammered in their chest, their palms covered in cold sweat. They turned their head, the horseman getting closer and closer...

***

The little boy turned around, wrapping his arms around the knight. He pat the kid's pumpkin head in response.

But what was he holding with the other? A head in flesh and bone, or just another rotten pumpkin?

_________________________________