Nine- Ken, K.D. & Ky.

K E N D R I C K
EIGHT pm

Exhausted wasn't even the word

Exhausted wasn't even the word. I'd been up damn near all night going over our business transactions and financial paperwork, making sure our shit was straight and bills were paid— somebody had to. Once I went upstairs, all I wanted to do was take a nice hot shower and crawl into bed for some long overdue sleep. I'd had my nice hot shower, but Ramona refused to let me catch up on my sleep as she argued me down for the third time this week over us starting a family.

She had been so uptight these last few weeks. Shit that typically hadn't bothered her in the past, was now the topic of every damn discussion and I couldn't understand why. Never in the eight years we'd been married had we talked about having kids, yet it was the first thing she wanted to talk about when she got home from work now. I thought she might've been lonely since no one was ever around the house and I was always busy, but she snapped on me when I suggested that. She said she wanted something to take care of—something to give her love to, as she put it. If that was the case, I'd rather just get her a damn puppy.

"Kendrick, are you even listening to me?" I felt one of the silk pillows on our bed hit my face, snapping me out my thoughts and waking me up slightly as I neared sleep.

"Not really, Mona." I sighed, feeling my eyelids getting heavy once again. "I been up all day. I told you I'm tired." I grumbled before slightly dozing off again.

"Well, damnit, I'm tired too, Ken!" I felt the same pillow smack my face again and this time I jumped up and snatched it away from her, throwing it across our bedroom.

"Tired of what, Ramona?" I asked as I stood there in my T-Shirt and boxers, aggravated as hell. "What the hell are you so tired of? Tell me, I wanna know."

"Just forget it, Kendrick." She got up to retrieve the pillow and I couldn't help the frown that appeared on my face. She'd literally been smacking me upside my head with that damn pillow for the past twenty minutes, begging me to converse with her and now she was saying forget it?

"Nah, you wouldn't let me sleep because you wanted to talk— so let's fucking talk." I took a seat at the edge of our Cali King.

"I'm tired of feeling like I don't matter— that's what I'm tired of! You're always busy, your brothers run the streets like fucking hooligans and I'm pretty sure neither one of them likes me— hell, they don't exactly hide it, Kendrick, they've hated me ever since we got married. Then, whenever I bring up us getting our own place, you get pissed and for the life of me, I can't understand why! We're married! We have been for eight long years and I don't think it's so ridiculous to want my own home with my husband! And then, we don't have kids! Why don't we have any kids, Kendrick?"

"You think my brothers don't like you?" I asked and she immediately threw the pillow she was holding right at my face.

"Are you kidding me? That's all you heard— after everything I just said, that's the only thing that stuck out?" She yelled. "Why don't we have kids?!"