Nineteen- Chi Chi, Ken and Harlem.

C H I O M A
THREE am

I saw a dead body tonight

I saw a dead body tonight. When the guns started blazing, I immediately took cover under one of the tables. After a few minutes passed, I was gonna sprint out of one of the exits just like everyone else but before I could, a man slumped to the floor right in front of me. He was dead but his eyes were still open and they were settled in my direction. I couldn't move after that. My plan to run off was completely forgotten as I sat there crying under the table for what felt like hours. Living in Orange Mound, it was common to hear gunshots— however, I'd never been in such close vicinity. To say I was a little shaken up would be an understatement.

The entire ride was silent. He didn't say anything and neither did I. He raced his car through the night and I didn't bother him about it. I had no idea where he was taking me, but I couldn't bring myself to ask him. I couldn't even look at him right now. He seemed so different with a gun in his hand, scary even. I watched all the buildings fly past my window as he sped throughout the city.

After riding for about twenty more minutes, we pulled up to a huge house. There was an iron gate in front and after he punched in a few numbers on a small screen, the gate rolled off to the side. He pulled into a vacant space in the circular driveway and shut the car off. I wanted to get out but my legs wouldn't move.

He wasn't rushing to get out either and initially I thought it was because he was consumed by his thoughts, like me. However, I was wrong. He reached to open the door and it was only then that I noticed the bloody handprint left on the handle. I was in such a daze, that I hadn't even realized his blood soaked shirt. I also noticed blood on my arm, probably from when I hugged him. The sound of the car door slamming snapped me out of my thoughts.

He managed to get out of the car and I jumped out the minute he did. The cool air hit my entire body like a wave and I instantly covered myself. I was still clad in my stage outfit for the night and the thong set I had on provided me with no warmth whatsoever.

"You need to go to a hospital." I told him as he walked up the steps, clutching his side. He walked into his house without acknowledging my statement and I followed behind him like a lost puppy.

He walked in front of me as we entered a large, all white kitchen. He pulled the bloody shirt over his head, grimacing the entire time, before tossing it into a nearby trash can. I was slightly confused when he went over to one of the drawers and pulled a thin, sharp knife out. Realization quickly set in and I walked carefully to him as he leaned over his kitchen sink.

"Wait. Are you sure you wanna do that? You might make it worse—"

"I ain't goin' to no hospital." That was all he said before preparing to stick the blade of the knife into the small hole where the bullet entered. Before I knew what I was doing, I reached out and snatched the knife away from him. He looked at me crazy but I didn't care. I threw the knife down in the sink and turned back to him.