Ten- Ken, Ky & K.D.

K E N D R I C K
ELEVEN am

When I opened my eyes it was morning

When I opened my eyes it was morning. I pulled the silk covers back so I could go to the restroom. The sun was shining brightly through the long curtains and the alarm clock on the nightstand read ten. I knew Ramona was gonna throw a fit when I got back home. After emptying the tank and fixing myself up, I exited the bedroom and lightly jogged down the steps to get some breakfast. I poured myself a bowl of cereal and milk and just as I was going to take a seat at the kitchen table, I heard the pitter patter of small feet coming down the stairs.

"Daddy!!"

My face lit up once my babygirl, Kallie, came rushing through the kitchen and into my arms. "Good morning, sunshine!" I threw her up in the air before catching her. She giggled as I placed kisses all over her little cheeks. "You hungry, mamas?" I asked her and she nodded before resting her head on my shoulder.

I fixed her some Eggo Waffles before the two of us sat back down at the table. Surprisingly, my cereal wasn't soggy just yet— wasn't shit worse than some soggy ass cereal. I was about to dig in until Kallie smacked my hand.

"Grace, daddy!"

"Right, baby. I'm sorry." I bowed my head and waited for her to bless the food but she didn't say anything. I peeked over at her and she was looking right at me with a cheesy grin. "What— you want me to say it?" I asked and she shook her head. "Aight, close your eyes."

I went to say something but nothing came out. I'd been doing such foul things that I wasn't even sure the man upstairs knew who I was anymore. I knew how to pray, but it had been so long that I didn't know how to start. Just saying thank you for food was a task in itself for me.

"Don't tell me you never learned God is Grace." I looked up and Trinette had just entered the kitchen. Kallie rushed over to her and seemed to forget about me for the time being. Saved by the babymama.

I'd met Trinette Wells five years earlier, when she came in for a job interview at one of the local mini marts I owned. I just so happened to be there, stashing away some dope money in one of the freezers for a worker to come pick up later that day. She strutted past me in high heels and a black pantsuit. She looked like she was about her business and I liked that. She was interviewing for one of the managerial positions and I had to say, she looked the part. Trinette was gorgeous, with cinnamon-brown skin and kinky, natural hair that she always wore in an up-do. She was tall, standing at five-ten, but I liked my women with a little height since I was six-two myself. Her grey, almond shaped eyes and high cheek bones made her look like a damn model— like she belonged on a runway and not at my Stop-N-Go looking for a job. After she got hired, I found myself hanging around the store more than I ever had and we would always steal glances at one another. Soon, glances turned into conversations, conversations turned into us kickin' it and us kickin' it turned into us fucking in no time.