Chapter 34 Pillow Talk & Falling

The Bentley doors softly slam shut with muted ease. Enclosing them in their enclave of luxury. They sunk into the butter soft creamy-beige leather seats. Mozart was twinkling through the speakers. The air is cool and Evie takes deep lungfuls of it. Like it was manna. Ignoring the burning sting prickling at her eyes.

She let out the biggest breath as they were whisked away from the crowds. Away from the champagne that had turned bitter-sour in her stomach. Away from their toxic company for the evening. Her head spun and she feels about as held together as a rag doll whose splitting at the stitched seams.

She closes her eyes and gulps for air like she's starving. Each breath pushing away the foulness that's befallen her. Spat on her like a raining shower of poison tipped arrows. From the vile model. And her tall, dark and very foul date.

She curls a hand around her middle. Her clammy other hand is clamped around her Fendi clutch purse. Wedges against her thigh. As per usual, Kylo's gargantuan form is taking up way past half of their shared bench seat in the Bentley. The solid hefty trunk of his thigh pressing into hers.

She knows his eyes are on her. She can feel their weighty glance pressing in on her skin. His body shifts and he leans forwards in his seat. She hears a glass clinking. A soft pop. A fizzing pour of frothy champagne. And when he shifts back, he curls her small hand around a cold glass of spitting, tangy Dom Pérignon.

She opens her eyes and peers across at him. In the chiaroscuro of the dark Bentley, his obsidian eyes stark shine black and silver at her. His arm closest to her hooks around her hip and tugs her close to him. Those soft lips kiss at her temple as he speaks.

"Drink. Kitten. Every drop." He orders kindly. Stroking at her beaded hip. His hand covering the whole side of her pelvis.

She's had to deal with a lot tonight. He knows how his family can be, how vile Ben's silver tongue can get when it turns rotten. Defiled with drink and drugs. And when his Twin's sense of entitlement tended towards bitter. His fury was horrifying. That's what Evie'd glimpsed at tonight. Not only Ben's rage - but his wasted ego when at its most bruised self.

She tips the flute to her lips and swallows back a whole half glass of the shimmering golden stuff. She shudders at its sting tearing at her throat when she takes it away from her faded red lips. A sticky pink smudge on the clean rim.

She was really shook up.

"Why so down Kitten? Tell me it isn't all because of what my idiot brother did?" He warns roughly. But with way he was stroking her body, it softened his brash words.

She smiles demurely. Wryly even. Her thumb stroking the cool glass.

"Not just Ben. Your ex too. She was....equally as vicious when she introduced herself to me in the restroom." She adds.

Kylo's cold eyes turn frosty black. Slicing into her. Yet he seemed calm.

"She's nothing to me but a cheap bitchy waste of skin. It should tell you how much she meant, and still means to me, when I say honestly that I couldn't even remember her goddamn fucking name." He says calmly.

"She's nothing." He says firmly. Coolly. She believes the cold final authority of his tone. It wasn't a heated outburst of his. It's completely level-headed. Sociopathic. That vile viper had gotten under her skin. She's sunk her fangs in and flushed venom into Evie's blood. But she's astonished and relieved to hear that her flaunting model-beauty couldn't even snag his interest. Or grab his attention. His words were her antidote to her poison.

She's nothing. He thinks. Because she's not you. No one has been like you.

Sliding his fingers through hers. Where her other hand is curled on her middle still. He slopes their knotted hands into her lap. Watching the beads shimmer in the moonlight.