23

"Hey there beautiful" he smiles revealing a small bouquet of flowers from behind his back.

My heart swells at the sight,taking the flowers I thank him and invite him in. Dad gives me an approving glance,he's obviously a fan of Ralph.

"Hello Mr Reynolds" Ralph says shaking my Dads hand.

"Hi there..Ralph,is it?" My dad questions as if I hadn't told him Ralph's name five minutes ago.

Their conversation gets quieter as I head into the kitchen to place my flowers in a vase.They sit perfectly,blooming brightly with life,but they wont be like this forever,just like us.These highs we're feeling in life wont be forever.Soon it will die down and we'll be weeping just like the flowers will when they die.

Pushing aside the thoughts I take one last look at the flowers,taking a photo and sending it to the girls groupchat,before walking back into the living room.

It's deadly silent,neither my dad or Ralph knowing what to say,so I break the silence,grabbing Ralph's hand I say, "We'll be leaving now dad,I'll text you later,don't wait up on me"

"Keep her safe Ralph"

"I will Mr Reynolds,same goes for you too.Look after yourself"

My dad gives Ralph a small smile as he walks away mouthing, "I like this kid" to me.I stick my tongue out at him waving one last goodbye before following Ralph out to his car.

"How is your dad holding up?" He asks as soon as we sit down.

"Actually,better.He's been sober for at least two weeks now,and I think he's going to a support group.It's so relieving seeing him like this,I'm so happy." I tell him

"I'm glad" he answers stiffening a bit.

"I don't mean to pry,but hows your dad?" I hesitate before continuing on,"has he tried to-"

"I don't want to talk about it" he says sternly,gripping harder on the steering wheel.

The car goes silent for a while,until we pull up to the nando's car park."I want to have a good time tonight Ava,I want that for you.Please,don't bring that man up again"

I nod understanding,"okay,I'm sorry"

He exhaled quietly before stepping outside of the car and walking over to my side to open the door for me.

"Let's forget about it and have some fun" he smiles reaching out to take my hand.

We both walk into Nandos where we're immediately seated in a booth by the windows.Our menus are given to us by the waitress who makes sure to check out Ralph as she hands them to us.

Silence overcomes us,the chatter of the restauraunt comforting us as we stay silent for a moment.Our eyes focused on the menus as we both decide on what to eat and what to say.I eventually decide on a ¼ chicken with rice and plain chips,Ralph choosing the same,but he gets ½ chicken.

"So what's your impression of our small little town?" He asks

"I like it,it's quiet and simple.Dad seems to be making friends too"

"Just like you" he says smiling softly

"Yeah" I smile back

Once we've ordered our food we head back to the table sitting down,but something about sitting face to face seems so formal to me.

Sit next to him Ava

In my mind I wanted so bad to just sit besides him,feel his warm body next to mine.But I was so scared of what he'd do,of what everyone around would say.