Chapter 22

Matthew walked me back to my room after the birthday ball. Matthew waited in my room while I changed into a nightgown. Matthew lied beside me as I fell asleep.

Matthew was not there when my dreams took over. 

Coming to a white scape, I stood face to face with Song. She was bloodied, very bloodied, and a small pool began to gather around her feet. 

My eyes widened as the blood  began to travel: it formed her name. A stream from the last letter streamlined parallel to he name, stopping just to form another word.

"August?" my lip furrowed, unable to move. "We've already passed August this year."

The liquid streams began to flow upward, drawing more lines and words against the barren white landscape. 

"What is this? I knelt down, taking a look at the pyramid formation. Slowly, I dipped a finger in the 'g' at the end of Song's name; instantly the blood colored liquid morphed into a gold color, then slowly transformed to sapphire blue.

I pulled my hand back, frightened, and looked to Song for guidance. But she was gone. I was all alone.

Waking didn't calm the loneliness quelling in my being. I was still alone, just in a different place.

Tossing the covers aside, I pushed myself out of bed and toward my desk. A few pieces of paper were stacked on top, remainders from a previous lesson, unscathed by pen or pencil.

My hand glided over the first one smoothly, separating it from the rest. I opened the desk drawer, fishing for a writing utensil, and came across a red pen. Uncapping the device, I began to scribble my thoughts down. 

Blood... gold... sapphire blue... Illéas.

Sleep began to overcome me when I finished. Releasing a yawn, I stood and folded the paper into an envelope. I flicked my tongue over the seal, closing the envelope; I then placed it on my desk for my maids to see when they come to wake me in a few hours. 

Hopefully, they'll deliver it to its recipient.