Scooby's P.O.V

I sit on my bed, with my head in my hands. The room has been quiet ever since yesterday. It was the first night I would spend without being able to talk to Thomas. It was weird, we usually would stay up talking for hours before bed, even though the curfew is at 9. I look over at his empty bed, his ski goggles lay on top of it, like a memory. I wasn't sure why, I just felt like, part of him needed to stay here, so I asked Grace if I could keep his goggles in our room. She just nodded and continued her work before we ejected him. We don't have a place to keep our dead.. So that's what we have been having to do with all the bodies. It hurt watching my friend's body drift away into space, and I knew it would be the last time I ever saw him. Even though we had just become friends a year ago at the academy to train us for space, it felt like I had known him for years.

Birdboi walks in, and I look up in surprise. He just looks at me for a moment, and then speaks. "Should I leave?" I shake my head. "Did you need something?" He looks like he is contemplating the question for a few seconds. "I never knew Thomas well, but I do know his sister. I know it's hard for her right now, so I thought maybe.. I should learn more about him. For her sake." I wave toward the foot of my bed and mumble, "Be my guest."

Once Birdboi gets situated, I take a deep breath. "I lived in Texas, sort of near the border of Mexico with my family. My father was an F.B.I agent, and my mother helped him sometimes, although she stayed home with me and my little brother, who was 13 at the time." I smiled a little remembering my brother. "He was a bit annoying at times, and we fought a lot.. But I loved him a lot. I would do anything to be able to go back and change some things I said to him. When the bombs hit, one directly hit my home. I was at school, while my brother was being homeschooled. My whole family was in that house, my dad was working from home, and my mom was homeschooling my brother.

"They didn't even let me go back to see the rubble because the parasite spores were everywhere. They took me away. When the scientists came and asked me to join the academy, I almost declined, I was grieving. But when I looked at all the refugees, all the other people my age who lost everything.. I had to accept. I had to save mankind. So I went. I excelled in my classes. I did everything I could to get into the top. That's when I met Thomas. I moved up in rank at school, and he was my new roommate. For a while, I wanted nothing to do with him, but as time went on, we became the best of friends. To be honest, I found him annoying for a while. He introduced me to Jess, and his sister and her friend. I met friends because of him, and I'll always be grateful to him for that. He was like a brother to me, and now he's gone."

Birdboi was nodding intently as I finished my story. I almost wondered what his past was like. He's really.. Emotionless. Most people might have some trace of sympathy for me, or anyone in my situation, but it's almost like he picks out people to care for, and sticks with them. I don't think I'll ever understand him. "He seemed to be a good person from what I saw." he says. "As I said, I never knew him, so I don't know what I can say to make you feel any better about this situation. What I will say though, is RheaChan might. She probably knew him the best out of all of us.. So you might feel better talking about him with her." I nod. "I don't think I want to confront her at all right now. I think it would be best to do that later. We're both in pretty bad shape right now, emotionally." Birdboi stares straight ahead for a few moments. "You have twisted emotions about Jess, right?" I whip my head around at him and stare. "How did you-" He waves his hand. "I just can." Strange.. I think. But alright. I coughed once. "..Yes. I do." I whisper. "You hate her for killing Thomas, but you.. Have feelings for her. More than just friends from what I've seen." This guy- "..Yes." He nods slowly. "You have to figure that out soon. I think we both know.. She's not going to live for very long, depending on how fast this cure gets made." I sigh loudly. "I know, I know.. I just.. Can't bring myself to talk to her.."

After Birdboi had left, I thought about what he had said. I know I have to talk to Jess. But what.. Would I even say? I can't do it yet. Maybe soon, but.. Not yet..