- seventeen

Enola Holmes' POV :

"Hey Willy!" I shouted on the other side, he is outside but I can see him from my window.

"Hey Miss! Want to go and eat at our favorite place?"

"No! I have something to do, but maybe sure, uh later after this!"

I went inside and closed my window. My mind is made up already, I wanted to meet Tewksbury. Since we hadn't even had the time to talk since Martina showed up.

Trying on different dresses was the thing I've always wanted to do. Especially on my free time. Hm, does this red silk dress look better? Or should I wear a green one for a different look?

Definitely green, this is more likely an emerald kind of thing and I can't wait to see myself in it. As I try it on, I even had some long earrings in me partnered with my hair tied up in a messy look ponytail and Tewksbury's necklace. I never left it out, I feel different without it.

"Hm, I look like a fine lady. Imagine looking like this?" I confidently said to myself while looking at the mirror.

I sprayed some perfume and even lighted up Tewky's scent before I go to the flower shop we used to go back then.

Expectedly, I saw him there looking for some roses or should I say some random flowers. I make my way and goes into him, starting my word with, "Hey! Tewky!"

He turned around and smiled, a bit. "Hey." His energy seemed off, maybe he wasn't in the mood?

"First day of being 19, is it?" I said and got closer. Tewksbury didn't utter a word but chuckled softly.

"So, yeah, have you gotten gifts?" I asked.

"Many." He said coldly.

"Hey, can I ask you something? You just seemed off lately. Is there like uh, something that bothers you?"

"N-no.. There was none. I supposed to say you l-look great.." He replied, trying to change some subject.  I didn't get to mind, maybe he was just in a bad mood and everyone gets bad days sometimes. It's okay.

"Anyway, would you want to go out? I would just buy these flowers and we'll go somewhere." He added. I nodded and stood there next to him as he brought the flowers.

Later on, we decided to walk and go somewhere near. Even had foods with us. Our feet lead us to this amazing place— Hampstead Heath. The grass and woods filled my nature's satisfaction. We sat at the grass, glancing at the sunset. To my surprise, there were only few people this time. Most of them are adults who wanted to take a break from their thoughts.

"Okay Tewky, now we're going to have question and answer, you ready for it?" I ask and he nodded.

"What's the first thing that came on your mind when I say... Marshmallows?"

"You." Tewky replied with a chuckle.

"Why me?"

"I told you the last time that it smells like you. I always light up the candle because of that.."

That makes my heart warm, I really hate you Tewksbury!

"Is that so? That's so adorable of you then." I replied and smiled softly.

"How about what can you say about me being a man?" Tewksbury suddenly asked.

"Are you even a man?"

"I'm nineteen and I think I am now. So what can you say about it?"

"I see, you've matured enough and sometimes annoying since uh..."

I immediately remembered that he did not even notice me yesterday. He was with Martina a lot lately.

"Since yesterday, you did not even talk to me.. Instead you left me there eating alone and I couldn't bare seeing you with her so I just stood up and eat somewhere else..." I accidentally ranted, oh my gosh.

"Really? Aaaaah, I'm so sorry love!" Tewksbury pouted and hugged me from the side. I was not hugging back, instead my chin were all over his broad shoulders.

"Kidding aside, but I think you're a great man. Fine man.... as I could say." I said, still having his arms on me.

"Can I say something?" He said letting go of his hug.

"What?"

"Promise me, you'll love me still when I came back."

"What are you saying?" I asked, dumbfounded.

Tewksbury didn't utter a single word. He looked at the skies whom were turning into dark orange and it looks comforting though. Him and the view. Later on, he stood up and grabbed my hand. "I'll take you home now. Good thing, there's still an available carriage. I was really tired walking."

As our hands were unto each other, my mind kept repeating on what he had said earlier. Came back? What? Where? Isn't that supposed to be my line years ago..?

While we were on our way home, silence took over the room and our hands were still intertwined. Warm, soft and comfort. Only thing I ever felt having the grip of his hand. As I already reached my house, I planted a kiss on his cheek and before I could ever go outside, He immediately held my waist and kissed me. The kiss wasn't romantic, instead I felt sadness into it. I don't understand.

"I love you." He said before I could go out.

As my feet touches the ground, I unlocked the gate and suddenly, a familiar voice called me.

"Miss?"

"Yes?" I answered in a typical tone.

"Can you lend me a minute?" He asked, he seemed down too. What is happening?

"Yes sure."

"Miss, lately, I don't know if I'm thinking right but I don't want to misunderstand my own feelings nor invalidate it. I know how you hate people who thinks that they are invalid. I'm so sorry but I needed to let this out.."

William got closer to me and held my face. He whispered, "I'm in love with you, Miss Holmes. I know there would be no chance but I would just like to tell you how I feel."

And in that moment, all I could think of is nothing. Literally nothing. Just why's and what.

I softly shrugged his hand on my face and held it. "I'm so sorry, Willy. I appreciate your bravery on telling me these and I'm afraid I don't feel the same.." 

William's face started to turn into red. His eyes seemed sad yet he's trying to laugh.

"I know it. I'm not looking for a chance. But, I just wanted to be with you. Not a lover...  highly doubt it would be.. but even as a best friend you could count on.."

I know he's trying to look on the positive side and I'm quite delighted about it. I couldn't think of any words to say so I platonically hugged him instead. Turning him down won't make me better. Our friendship is important than anything else.

After our talks, William decided to go home and I did too. This day was kind of blue. I still can't get over on what Tewksbury is on. What does that mean? I don't even know.. what to say or even to feel or even to react... I'm confused.

—-

2k reads !! <3 I love each and everyone of u !!