chapter 40 ( R )

It's been months since I've returned to Philadelphia. We recently celebrated Christmas and the New Year, it feels like time is flying by.

School is going well, but I've had a splurge of new clients at the shop. I've been there for a while, so I was prepared for it. I always receive a new bunch of appointments at the beginning of summer and end of winter.

Elon and Vaughn worked together, without ever directly communicating, to buy Daya a one-story house with a fully decorated nursery for the baby boy who'd be making his appearance soon.  In all honesty, it felt like there was some unspoken exile in the group.

Whether we wanted to or not, we all felt the consequences of Vaughn and Daya's actions.  However, as time passed, we began to think more and more about the baby. 

My mother always thought that a child shouldn't be punished because of their parents, I couldn't help but pick up the same ideas up.

I know for sure that we'll never be the same, but we're at least trying to make the best out of a raggedy situation.  

"Lee," I laughed as he twirled me around on the clean ballroom floor.

To celebrate our one-year anniversary, Lee decided to take me dancing. If I'm being completely honest with myself, I have two left feet, so I'm doing more learning than actual dancing.

"Just follow me, mama," Lee ran his right hand down my bare back and rested it in the arch. With a charming smile, he guided my hand to his shoulder and held the other in his free hand.

17 by Pink Sweat$ began to play though Lee's speakers, he simply leaned down to kiss my cheek and began to guide me through the song.

I danced to the beat with him and, this time, I didn't step on his toes.

"See? I knew you could do it," I smiled and leaned into Lee's chest, after a while, he leaned his head onto mine and danced with me in peace.

I spent so much time blaming myself over things that were out of my control. I tried to push people who could make me happy away because I didn't think I deserved happiness. But, I do.

Things happen, you have to learn from them, heal, and keep living. No matter how bizarre those things are, redemption is possible.

The song ended and Lee and I stood in each other's embrace.

"I love you, Lee."

"I love you too, Zola," Lee kissed me and led us to the table, adorned with a white tablecloth, lit cherry-scented candles, and a full course meal.

"You already know, gifts first," I smiled and pulled my bag up as I sat in the wooden chair.

Lee shook his head and pulled his gift beside him. I slid my bag to him and he began to open it.

"Wait!" I pressed the red record button and nodded for him to continue.

I watched as he pulled the small, grey photo album out of the bag and ran his fingers over the photo of us on the cover, just above the large, gold letters reading: 1 year down.

"Man, you always show out for these," the photo album had two photos for each month we've been together, and behind each of them was a reason why I love him.

Lee flipped through the photos and read the short messages behind them with a smile.

"Come here, girl," I stood and my body was pulled down to Lee's for a warm hug.

I laughed and gently pushed him away when he began to playfully kiss up my neck.

"Hold on, hold on, I also got you these," I pulled the wrapped gift from the bag and sat it on the table.