chapter 14

Spring break is almost over, but I'm determined to continue making the most of it.

Lee has absolutely loved his first time in Houston and I loved watching him interact with my family, which he did perfectly.

For the past few days, we've taken him around Houston and showed him a few hotspots, he even FaceTimed Healani to show her a few.

Right now, we're just hanging out in the living room watching Maury re-runs.

"She know good and well that is not that baby's father." Lee scoffed with his arm around me.

"I don't know, look at the nose." I pointed out, watching Elaine squint from the loveseat, her eyesight is absolutely terrible without her contacts.

"No, that's not the dad." Rome shook his head with a beer in his hand.

"She did admit to cheating on him." My mom chimed in while leaning in her favorite recliner.

"Let's make a bet, mama." I looked up at Lee and motioned for him to continue.

"If that man is the father, I'll give you those massages you love anytime you ask."

"If he isn't?" I squinted up at him, waiting for the catch.

"You have to go to the gym with me for a whole month."

Lee hates going to the gym alone, as of lately, Bentley has been a little preoccupied so he's been forced to.

"Oh, bug, you hate working out." My mom playfully winced, shaking her head.

That's true, I do hate working out. But I love those massages, and Lee only massages me every once and a while.

My pride's getting the better of me.

I looked at the side-by-side photos of the son and father one more time.

"Deal." Lee smirked and shook on it.

"In the case of 4-year old Kensleigh, Robert,"

I sat up and prayed for the child to be his, I can't do a push-up to save my life.

"You are not the father!"

I scoffed to myself and flopped onto the couch. Elaine laughed out loud while Rome and Lee dapped each other up.

"Wait, wait, I change my mind, I knew he wasn't-"

"Aht! I got three witnesses to say otherwise. You can finally use those Lululemon leggings you ordered." Lee laughed and ate a few almonds from my bag.

Darn it.

The doorbell rang and I hopped up from my spot on the couch. I glanced outside of the window and felt myself automatically perk up.

"Nas!" As I always do, I practically tackled my brother into a hug.

Elaine was next, forcing him to hug both of us with two bags in his hand.

Even though Elaine is only a year younger than Nas, she loves and looks up to him as a protector, just like me.

Nas has always loved and treated us the same, so naturally, we both love the hell out of him.

"You almost missed me and my announcement."

"Stop it, Lane, you know I always make it before you and Rome leave."

Nas always arrives later in the break because his job becomes very demanding in the beginning of spring break, but Elaine and Rome have to leave before spring break ends because their jobs become more demanding towards the end.