Ch. 6

Daniel Drake P.O.V

I winced and brought my hand to my head as my headache returned. I scanned my surroundings to see myself in my bed, Jason next to me, his arms wrapped tight around me.

I watched as he breathed in and out, his breath tickling my skin.

I smiled at him and kissed his cheek, then slid out from between his arms and limped into the kitchen. I took a few painkillers with some water then walked over to the windows, looking out over the early-morning city.

"How you feeling?" a voice said.

I looked over my shoulder to see Jason coming out of the bedroom.

"I didn't wake you, did I?" I said.

He shook his head as he walked closer.

I hummed as he wrapped his arms around me and pulled me against his chest as we looked out the window.

"No, you didn't wake me," he said. "But, you didn't answer my question."

I smiled and shook my head.

"Can't get anything past you, can I?"

He waited for my answer.

"I feel awful," I said truthfully.

He smiled sympathetically and rubbed his hands up and down my arms.

"I know..." he said quietly as he kissed the top of my head.

"It's been a week, Jay," I said. "You'd think I'd at least feel a little better..."

"Roman beat the shit out of you, Dani," he said. "It's gonna take awhile to get better."

"Yeah, yeah," I muttered.

We stood in silence for a moment, before I spoke up.

"Do you have anything to do today?" I said hopefully, wanting him to do something with me.

"Yeah," he said slowly.

"Oh," I said. "What?"

"Take care of you all day," he said into my ear with a chuckle, then nuzzled his face into my neck.

I laughed and turned around to face him.

"You sure you're not busy?" I asked, concerned.

"Trust me, Dani," he said. "I would rather be doing this than anything else."

I smiled and wrapped my arms around his neck, bringing our lips close together. He hummed into my lips, then leaned his forehead against mine.

"So," he said. "How do you wanna get this day started?"

"We should probably start with breakfast," I said.

I watched his eyes as they briefly changed to thinking mode. He was clearly thinking about a nice way to say no.

"Don't worry," I said. "My french toast is much better than my eggs."

"Okay," he said skeptically. "I'm trusting you on this one. But I'm not leaving you alone here to go get food, so you better make sure it's at the very least edible."

"Ha ha," I mocked.

He smirked and let me walk over to the kitchen.

"I'd like to see you make us breakfast."

"Believe me," he said. "You don't want me to."

"I didn't think so," I said, as I began to gather ingredients.