Ch. 18

Dani Drake P.O.V

I sighed wistfully and pulled myself tighter into Jason's chest.

"Mm, morning," he mumbled into my hair.

"...morning," I said.

"I haven't slept that good in a while," he said slowly.

I smiled into his chest and laughed a little, then pulled back a little to look him in the eye.

"Hey," he said quietly as I kept our faces close together.

"Hi," I said back, then closed the distance and pressed my lips to his.

He hummed into the kiss, then I pulled away and pat his face slightly.

"We can't stay in bed all day," I said suddenly as I swung my legs over my side and pulled the covers aside.

As I went to stand up I was pulled back into the bed and my back was pressed against Jason's chest, his arms tightly around my middle.

"Five more minutes..." he whined.

I laughed lightly and placed my hands over his on my stomach, then turned my head slightly to look at him as he nuzzled his face into my shoulder.

"You do realize that it's three in the afternoon and we still haven't gotten out of bed?"

"What can I say? I really like being in bed with you..." he said suggestively as he began to kiss the side of my neck.

I scoffed and pushed him off me, standing up. I leaned down to pick my underwear off the ground and started to slip them on, ignoring Jason's eyes on my every movement.

I looked over at him to see him staring at my thighs, biting his lip.

"Hey," I said, snapping my fingers to grab his attention. "This isn't a private dance, get dressed."

"You act like we have stuff to do today..." he groaned as he rolled over and shoved his face in his pillow.

"Believe it or not," I said. "We do."

"Oh, yeah? What?"

"Come out and see," I said as I walked out of the room.

A few moments later Jason came out in his boxers, scratching at his stomach.

"Alright, enough with the cloak and dagger, what do you got?"

"That," I said, gesturing to where there were stacks of bins in the living room.

"What is all this?" he said as we walked over.

I smiled at him and popped the lid off one of them.

"Christmas decorations," I said. "And we're putting them up. Little did you know that you made an entire agenda for us yesterday at the studio."

"...but-"

"Ah-" I cut him off. "No take backs. We're gonna decorate, and bake cookies, and make gingerbread houses, and watch Christmas movies...while we cuddle, I think were your words? And you're gonna love it."

He groaned for a moment and ran a hand down his face, then grabbed my waist and pulled me against him.

"You're right," he said slowly. "I am gonna love it."

A few hours later the apartment was decorated and we were standing at the counter cutting dough into shapes for cookies.

"Heh," Jason chuckled, then elbowed me lightly to grab my attention. "Look."

I turned to where he had used a knife to cut an inappropriate drawing in the dough.

"No," I said with a smile as I smushed the cutout.

"Hey," he whined.

"These are Christmas cookies, Jay," he said. "Not cookies for a Bachelor party."

He huffed then returned to using the cookie cutters.

I bit my lip a little as I used a small knife to cut out a bird symbol, the symbol for my old band and the current symbol for the Black Canary.

"You're cute when you're focused," he said, leaning on the counter to face me.

"Thanks," I replied as I finished off the cookie.

I turned to face Jason and as soon as I did I felt him swipe something across my nose. I looked down to see the flour sitting next to him.

"Not again," I warned. "Not like last time."

He smiled a bit and kissed the tip of my nose, taking the flour with him.

"I love you," he said, as he started to kiss my jaw.

"I love you too," I said, bringing his lips to mine.

He kissed me deeply for a moment, his tongue swipe across my lower lip, wanting a taste. I hummed, then pulled away.

"Now, come on. Let's get these in the oven so we can start the Gingerbread houses."

I watched as Jason stuck his tongue slightly out between his lips as he attempted to put a Peppermint on top of the gingerbread house.

I put my chin on my fist and stared at him as he did so.

"Hah!" he said, as he punched the air. "Finally got it to stay."

He looked to me after he was done with his celebration and met my eyes.

"What's up?" he said as he noticed my thoughtful expression.

"Could you imagine...if I had decided not to follow up on those gunshots I saw on the news and run into you? None...none of this would've ever happened. We wouldn't know each other, but, somehow, everything fell into place so correctly that we met and clicked together so well."

He nodded slowly in agreement.

"I know," he said. "I guess we were just meant for each other. And for the record, you could have also been too slow with your Canary Cry and got killed by my bullet."

"It's a possibility," I said. "But...I'm never too slow."

He chuckled then handed me a candy cane, allowing me to do the next segment of the house.

An hour later we were lounging on the couch as a Christmas movie played. I was leaning against Jason's chest as he absently raked his fingers through my hair, his eyes glued to the screen.

"Jason?" I said quietly, turning slightly to look him in the eye.

He broke his attention on the tv to look at me and smiled warmly.

"Yeah?" he said.

"I love you," I said.

He hummed in response and kissed my lips lightly.

"I love you too."