Soft/Rough

He was built roughly. Cuts, scracthes and bruises lined his body from hard work during the day. His hands felt hard, calluses spread across them. His large frame making him seem like someone people made a point to avoid out of fear. But his smile brought out the best in others, making it hard for them to avoid him.

He was built roughly. Cuts, scratches and bruises lined his body from hard work during the day. His hands felt hard, calluses spread across them. His large frame making him seem like someone people made a point to avoid out of fear. But his smile brought out the best in others, making it hard for them to avoid him.

She was soft. Scratches and cuts lined her hands and arms from work and playing with her cat. Her plump body and small height were things she was still learning to love. She was the person that people had more of an incline to walk next to or talk to. She was as innocent and as friendly as a flower. Smiling through each day.

She was soft. Scratches and cuts lined her hands and arms from work and playing with her cat. Her plump body and small height were things she was still learning to love. She was the person that people had more of an incline to walk next to or talk to. She was as innocent and as friendly as a flower. Fragile and struggling to keep a smile each day.

His arms held her tightly, refusing to let her go-protecting her from anything and everything. His rough hands suddenly seemed as soft as the clouds that covered the sky that night. She nuzzled closer, if that was even possible at that point. Her small frame feeling even smaller in his arms. Their hands connected, a flood of butterflies and a rush of happiness enveloped her. Through small unspoken games of thumb wars and the occasional squeezes of "I like this", they spent the night together.

He switched on the TV, flicking between the same five shows he's seen before. His rough hands felt rigid against the plastic controller, nothing like the clouds that scattered the sky that night. She nuzzled closer to her plush cow, if that was even possible at that point. Her small frame suddenly feeling larger then it usually does. Messages typed, then deleted, then re-typed and sent. The only thing connecting them was their phones, no butterflies flew around them-only boredom enveloped their phones. Through the static letters and hours of unread messages, they spent the night apart and alone.

Her laughter spread across the room, a bright light radiating off of her. His laughter mixed with hers, like the colours of the sunset just outside the room. She was happy. He was happy. Nothing could tear through the happiness that they shared, nothing could ruin the purity of their new relationship. Even if she felt dumb sometimes, or even if he felt awkward sometimes.

Her laughter died as quickly as it arrived, a dark shadow emitting from her. His laughter was as short as the joke on screen, their moods matched the colours of the dark night sky. She was sad. He was okay. One small thing teared through the happiness that they shared, one small thing ruined the purity of their new relationsip. She felt so dumb, and he felt so awakard now.

Everything was going great.

Nothing is going okay.

They were so happy.

They're not happy.