𝐨 𝐛𝐥𝐨𝐜𝐤

❦

It was mid October my favorite time of the year because Durk's birthday was on the 19th. He never really did anything to celebrate, unless I forced him out the house to do something. This year would be different because India wanted to plan a special birthday dinner. We were inviting all of his close friends, some he hadn't seen in months due to his busy work schedule.

His day was special to me because I've known Durk since I was in middle school. In the hood he was well respected, he was like a baby OG. He gave niggas in the hood the game and put them in a position to succeed. With me it was different, he treated me like a little sister. He didn't want me involved in the streets, he made sure I finished school. He got on me about everything, if he caught me slacking he knew I would have to hear his mouth. Durk was well beyond his years, it was like he went through everything in life and he was there to tell you not to make the same mistakes he did. Of course, when you're younger it goes in one ear and out the other, but when you're older that shit starts to make sense. I would say he changed my life for the better, but he would just tell me I'm doing too much.

Durk treated his birthday like any other day, Like today I knew he would be at the studio. The nail shop I was at was only a few min away from the studio so I decided to drop by.

When I pulled in I noticed a group of guys leaning on one of the cars that were parked outside the studio. A few of them I couldn't make out, because they had hoods on their head. The two that stood out who I knew for sure were Durk & Von.

As long as I've known Durk, I've met mostly all of his friends. Most of them we grew up with. Von's been around awhile, I was never in his presence long enough to know his personality, but I always found him attractive. The way he talked, his demeanor and how he handled himself. I was a very confident girl, but Von made me feel like a little school girl with a crush. He looked so mean all the time, but the dimple that appeared when he smiled made me rethink my decision. It was a cold day in Chicago so he was dressed down in a pair of sweats, hoodie and a beanie holding his dreads to the side.

When the group noticed an extra car in the driveway, all eyes were on me.  Seeing Durk's mouth move assuming he told them who it was in the car. I seen him walking over to my car. Rolling my window, I smiled. "Happy birthday bear!!"

"Thank you!" He smiled. "What you doin ova here though?" He said, furrowing his eyebrows. He was already going into big brother mode.

"I was in the area and I wanted to tell you happy birthday, chill out."

"You know I don't like you ova here. You must got yo' nails done and shit. Got yo' hair done, who you gettin dolled up for?"

"Damn, I can't pamper myself. You know most nail shops are packed, I finally found somebody who could take me.

"Plussss, I wanted to take you to this new restaurant that opened not too long ago, and I promise I'll have you back at a reasonable time so you and India can do what grown folks do."