Chapter 13

It was again another quiet night. I could get used to this, I think to myself. It was a very average morning so far, I'd managed to keep my head down and avoid Xavier's attention, although recently he's been giving me more space which I appreciate. I still need to try and find Faith and take her up on her offer of shopping though, I figured I deserved to treat myself, and after looking at apartments, can afford to spend some money.

As if on que, Faith appears next to me. With way too much energy as always. "Hey Rach! I've been trying to find you all day, you sure do know how to hide" she says. Clearly I've gotten good at hiding in the background.

"Hi, um, yeah I've actually been meaning to talk to you. I'd love to take you up on your shopping trip offer - if the offer is still there of course" I nervously ask, I'm still cautious of why she asked me in the first place, no one is normally this nice without wanting something in return.

"OH MY GOD! Yes girl! Of course the offer still stands! I'd love to have a girl's day out!" She squeals with excitement, "I'll pick you up around 11 tomorrow?" She asks.

"Erm, sure, I'll text you if things change?" I say, as it is highly likely that either Will or Lynda will be in, so I might have to sneak out and make my own way there.

"Sounds good, I'll text you later, I've already got your number - Xavier gave it to me" She says with a wink. With that she turns around to head to her next class. I'm left with my own thoughts again, still confused how Xavier got my number in the first place. No one in my life has ever given me this much attention before, I'm average at best, not even worth a one night stand for someone like Xavier. So the only explanation I can think of for his interest in me is that he has slept with every girl in the school already, so a new girl is like a new challenge to him. Well, even if my situation at home was different, there is no way in hell that he is getting in my pants. I don't want sex to be a meaningless thing for me, I want it to be with someone I truly love - I know, I'm that typical cliché.

The rest of my day goes past in a blur, mainly because all I can think of is going the the gym tonight. After taking a few days off I'm desperate to get back and feel my muscles burn again. The walk there helps to clear my mind, the sun blazes down on me and I feel the warmth on my face. I still cant get over how different this is to back home, the lack of pigeons is seriously confusing! But I can't say that I'm missing the rain, I much prefer walking to the gym in the sun, than in the pouring rain like I used to have to do at home.

I push the door open and after exchanging pleasantries with Mr Scott I head over to my usual corner to start training. I take my loose fitting top off to reveal my black sports bra that matches the black leggings I'm wearing, suddenly I feel everyone's eyes on me. Conscious that I might have missed a bruise when covering them up this morning, I quickly looks down. Nope, all covered. Then I realise I'm a young woman in a room full of men - that's it. I start my warm up with some skipping and gentle stretching, I can't afford to have a pulled muscle along with all the bruises, otherwise I won't be able to walk. I start to hit and kick away all of my anger, frustration and confusion, desperate for my mind to be blank again.

The time flies by as quickly as it normally does when I train, the burn in my muscles offering me a physical release for the pain in my head. After shouting to Mr Scott that I was leaving I begin the walk back home, passing the alley that left me with more questions than I wanted. What are Will and Lynda involved in? What is Xavier involved in? I wonder if I Faith knows? Maybe getting close to her could provide me with some of these answers.

As I walk up the drive I see that the house is in complete darkness, so I make the assumption that Will and Lynda haven't come home since I left for school. I've never known them to be out so much, so whatever they're involved in must be more serious than I had first imagined. Or their drug addiction has progressed and their now spending their time in crack houses. Either way, I don't mind too much, it means I have more time to myself and fewer chances of a beating. I also notice Xavier's car is not on the driver, meaning he is out, it's looking like a boring evening for me then. As much as living so close to Xavier can be a pain sometimes, I can't complain about the eye candy when he gets changed in his room, or when he decides to play basketball shirtless out the front. I'm sure half the girls in my school would pay thousands for my window seat then. Hmm, maybe that could be an extra form of income for me if I get desperate, I'll have to keep that idea in mind.

I curl up and get lost in my book, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, although I have read it many times before, I love a good mystery. I make a mental note that when I go shopping with Faith tomorrow, I have to get more books. Reading is my other form of escape. If I'm too badly beaten to fight, then the only way to keep me sane is to transport myself to another world, if that's playing detective, or imagining being in a romance novel and living the dream princess life. I wish I could have my very own Mr Grey! Maybe one day, I tell myself.

Soon I feel myself start to drift off, so I cover myself with a blanket, rest my head against the wall and allow sleep to consume me.

Xavier's POV

Eventually I returned home. The only thing that can cross my mind is how desperate I am for a drink and a cigarette. God how can one day been so stressful. Up until a few months ago everything had been so easy and stress-free, now so many problems were being caused, and I need to figure out the reason now.
I look at my reflection in my rear view mirror, god I look like a mess, my hair is a mess from me running my hands through it. I step out my car and turn out to look up at Rachel's house. The moonlight lights her face up and I see her sleeping peacefully by her window. God she look gorgeous, I think to myself. I wish she could trust me enough to tell me what's going on with, I've never felt this way about a girl before and I'm so confused what's going on with me. All I know is I want to protect her, and I will do anything it takes to make her feel safe.
————————————————————————