chapter eleven

jungwon sat beside ni-ki. they were in the school's garden, resting under a tree during lunch.

"so what happened? what made you cancel on me?" ni-ki asked. he was hurt when jungwon text to cancel their date but he was sure he wouldn't do it without any valid reason.

"jay hyung." jungwon answered with a sigh. "he was sick and he needed someone to take care of him. I'm really sorry."

"no worries, I understand. there's still a next time, right?" 

"well actually I was about to ask you if you wanna visit that ice cream parlor nearby. it just opened fours days ago and I heard they make good ice cream."

ni-ki's face lit up. "okay, I'd be glad to go with you."

"where's jungwon?" sunghoon ask. he notice that jungwon wasn't in their usual table. he never miss lunch with them so where was he now?

jay didn't bother answering so sunoo did it. "in the garden with ni-ki. he said he needed some fresh air. I'm actually glad that they are having some time alone and I'll be really happy if they end up together." that caught jay's attention.

"what? we're not even sure if ni-ki will treat him right."

sunoo scoffs at him. "I can see that ni-ki genuinely likes him. come on jay hyung. I know you just wanted to protect him, I do too, but we can't just hold him back from things that may lead him to happiness."

"he can be happy without dating ni-ki."

"you make no sense, hyung. you're just his bestfriend so know your limits. it's like you're controlling him already. it's not his job to always please you."

sunghoon nervously watches them from the side. he wanted to stop them from pushing the argument further but he doesn't know how to step in. he really wish jake was here but his friend was busy tailing behind the school council's president, lee heesung. he just recently find out that jake has put an interest on heeseung who was obviously too busy with his piled up works as a student council and student. jake decided to join and help him as a way to spend time with him. 

"just say you don't want jungwon to be happy."

"I do want him to be happy but I also want it to be with me!" 

sunoo stared at him for a moment before answering. "you're confusing not only me but jungwon. get yourself together or you'll lose jungwon for real."

jay couldn't think straight, he was confuse and frustrated. "I need some time alone." he said before standing up to leave.

"jay--" sunoo tried calling for him but sunghoon held him back.

"let him be for now baby. I know jay enough to assure you that he'll figure it out soon."

sunoo leans his head on sunghoon's shoulder before letting out a sigh. "it's obvious that he has feelings for my cousin too but all these dumb things he's doing is hurting jungwon. I'm worried for the both of them."

sunghoon place a kiss on the top of sunoo's head. "I understand you but it's their own problem, let them fix it on their own. we can't interfere for them all the time but if ever they need someone then we'll be there for them."

jay was on his way to the library. he wasn't planning to study, he just wanted to go somewhere quiet to think. he was close to reaching his destination when he heard familiar voices. 

it was ni-ki and jungwon walking together. jungwon laugh at what ni-ki said which put a small smile on jay but it was just for a second. 

he wasn't the reason why jungwon was smiling. the realization that he was just hurting jungwon sink into him. he really needs to figure things out before it's too late.

I'm already done writing the ending and... haha I don't know if you'll like it.

[written on November 18, 2020]