FOUR

Adrianna takes a deep breath as she pulls up to the familiar house.

Her old home. She hasn't been back there in years and now, all the memories are coming back. Most joyful but there are a few bad ones.

After sluggishly leaving the Blakes' home vaguely remembering what happened the night before and having a good laugh at Edina's expense at Indie's sister and Edina's brother making the bed shake, Adrianna and Edina had returned to the hotel. Both girls planning to visit their family. Adrianna had rented a car for the time she's here so she dropped off Edina on her way to her mother.

Adrianna takes a deep breath before walking towards the reasonably sized house. It has a dark green exterior made of panel boards with columns holding up the small archway towards the door. The roof is decked with black shingles to match the marble tiles lining the area beneath the large windows.

There is also small porch to the right of the house and Adrianna smiles as she remembers the days she spent there with her dad catching fireflies and listening to him rave on about proper hair care.

Adrianna had never been one of the girls to have bad hair days not with her mother and father feeding her easy fix tips and tricks. If only that would've kept those snotty brats from tro–

No, she is not going to think of that. She has grown past that stage and there is no need to go back.

Adrianna reaches the door and frowns as she hears the loud vibrations of music emitting from the inside. Knowing her mom probably won't hear her calls or the doorbell, Adrianna reaches for her keys in her bag.

Dressed in black jeans pants, a yellow 'BLACK GIRL MAGIC' T-shirt and her favourite black and yellow Adidas, Adrianna looks good and feels super comfortable.

"Umama," Adrianna calls loudly as she opens the door and walk into the house, music blaring in her eardrums.

Adrianna was taught the language isiZulu as a child along with Italian and English so she is well partially fluent in them. Perks of having mixed parents. Her accent is now dominantly British so the isiZulu words sound a bit odd on her tongue.

The words to Sauti Sol's Insecure plays through the stereo and Adrianna chuckles as she recognizing the tune. It is always her Umama's favourite song and she can recall days when she and her mom would dance around to the smooth hypnotic beat.

Chini ya maji, si ni machizi
Twachunguzana kipolisi
And your body is a movie
And I hope you feel the same

Adrianna can already imagine her mother dancing around in the living room, having the time of her life. The memory is happy and makes her feel like she's a little girl again, living with her Umama and Ubaba before it all fell apart.

Why are we still so insecure
Don't know what we're running from
And I'm breaking, but before we crash and burn
Hope we see the light, I hope we see the light

Adrianna places her bag on the entrance table before sneaking into the living room hoping to catch her mother in the act and surprise her. She did tell her mother she would be visiting but not the time. Smiling to herself as the music becomes louder, Adrianna peaks into the living room from around the partition wall and a scream leaves her lips synchronising with her mother's.

Adrianna's back hits the wall as she covers her eyes, rubbing them trying to erase the image from her brain and retinas.

"Adrianna?!" she hears her father say in fright before cursing and there is a lot of shuffling, the music being shut off.