Chapter 15

“Well, I think we’ll be safe for a while now, considering the level of stupidity of the local detectives,” Jack said.

“You noticed too? They came by the house all the time for my dad to pay tickets. They always saw me, but never noticed how hurt I was…how he hurt me…” I trailed off. I wasn’t going to talk about that.

“Hey,” Jack put his arm around my waist, “You alright? You hesitated when your dad comes up.”

“It’s just…well…ever since mom left…he always hit me, every time with a new level of anger. The day… the day I killed him…he was so pissed… I don’t think he should have died. But if I think, he may have killed me if I hadn’t killed him first…”

“Well, I can relate to you. My parents were like that too. I guess we are pretty similar after all.”

I smiled weakly at him. I took another look at my ankle. Actually, the wound was almost already healed up. That’s neat, but creepy.

“Well, can we train more?  My ankles fine now.”

“Sure, let’s go. Today let’s just work on escape. You showed last night that you don’t have good skills at that part.”

“Geezus shut up. It was just a one-time trip. Not gonna happen again. Promise.”

“Good,” Jack threw my shoes at me.  “If you can’t get away I could lose you.”

“Oh, so you want me to get away because you care?”

“Yeah…”

“Why would you care for me, I’m turning into a monster.”

“I like monsters.”

We went out into the woods. Jack stopped in the middle of nothingness. He turned back to me, but I wasn’t there. I was already running off into the woods laughing. I heard his footsteps after me. I turned to look at him, he was smiling. I smiled, but turned and ran faster. I jumped a few stumps and branches; I almost fell once but caught myself. I couldn’t hear footsteps anymore, so I slowed down.

“Jack?” I yelled. He was nowhere in sight. No steps in the distance either. I Turned in a circle, nothing.

“Jack!” I yelled louder. I looked up, not in a tree hiding either. Not okay.

“Jack! What the hell Jack!” I screamed into the empty air.

I was pissed now. I ran back towards the cabin-ish direction. I scanned every inch of woods I could see. No Jack.

“Fine! I’m leaving without you! Fuck you too!” I screamed louder. I can’t believe him. Why would he just get up and disappear now. I ran faster, and faster, too fast.

Everything was blurry around me. I wasn’t thinking right. The memories of my father’s murder rushed back into my head.

I remembered blood. Stabbing flesh. Liking it, I liked killing people. Why? Because I’m insane. I’m worse than a serial killer. I was a crazy girl being crazy falling in love with a crazy boy.

I got back to the cabin, not before I tripped and cut my already bruised hands. I opened the door, getting blood on the handle. I stormed into the house, locking the door behind me.

I went into the bathroom. I stood there in the mirror. I saw myself. No, I saw a monster. A monster, with grey skin and sharp teeth. A monster who killed her father out of rage, not for saftey.

I put my hand on the mirror, smearing blood over the image of the monster in the mirror.

“You want a monster Jack? Here, you can have a monster,” I said.

I grabbed one of Jacks scalpels from the bathroom counter. I looked in the mirror one last time, then got to work.