Chapter 19

I realized what had happened.

Jack had pulled me out of the way. He got hit instead. He literally took a bullet for me.

He had a scalpel in his right hand. He pulled back, and threw it at the cop. It hit him in the throat. He dropped to the floor.

Jack looked at me. He held out his good hand. I took it and got up.

He put his hand to his shoulder, but turned and kept running. I followed him quickly.

I heard other people behind us, and more gun fire. I didn't look back once. I was afraid if I did I would get shot, or get Jack shot again.

"(Y/N). I can't run anymore. I'm losing to much blood," Jack slowed down to a walk, then stopped.

"What? We can't stop. They're coming."

"I'll get 'em. You just run for the road."

"No, I'm not leaving you."

"I'll take care of them, so you can get away."

"No Jack."

"YES!" He screamed, "I don't want to loose you! I can take care of myself!"

"Fine, just make sure you can catch up with me."

I reluctantly turned and ran until I couldn't run anymore, then I jogged. When I couldn't jog, I walked, when I couldn't walk, I ran.

I eventually got to the roadside. I walked the road until I found where we parked the truck. The truck was actually still there.

I ran around to the driver side and jumped in. I turned the key, and it rumbled, then died.

I looked in the woods. Still no Jack, or cops.

I tried it again. It sputtered, shook, then died again.

"God Damn it! Now you die? Stupid fucking piece of shit!" I screamed.

I turned to the woods, and saw something I wish I hadn't.

There was a cop coming towards the truck. But she seemed scared. Like she was running away from something, not chasing me.

She ran up to the truck and banged on the windows. I quickly reached over and locked the doors.

She kept pounding on the window. She must have heard something, because she turned around and screamed.

The screaming stopped abruptly, and the woods went silent. She turned, well, she rolled over to face me, and I saw the scalpel coming out of her brains.

She sunk to the ground, a smear of her blood on the window. Now that she was out of the way, I could see who had killed her.

Jack stood on the edge of the woods. He slowly walked up to the truck. I reached over and pulled the door open for him.

"Hey, told you I can take care of myself," Jack smiled weakly.

He got into the passenger seat. I tried the engine again, and it started right up.

"Fuck you too truck," I said.

I put it in gear and pulled onto the road. I looked over at Jack. He was bleeding black blood, a lot of it.

"Hey, did you bring the first aid kit?" I asked.

"Yeah, in my bag. We're gonna need it," Jack said, shifting his weight in his seat.

"Well, how long do you think you can go until you need to pull over so I can fix you up?"

"Going by the bleeding, I'd say about ten minutes."

"Let's see how far we can get in ten minutes."

I shifted into third gear. We drove for about ten minutes. We got pretty far, considering that I went about thirty over the speed limit.

We found an old abandoned gas station, and pulled into the parking lot.