Chapter 5

“Let’s take my dad’s old car. He won’t need it anyway,” I suggested.

“You can drive?” Jack asked as we headed down the stairs.

“Yeah, I’ve driven him home a few times because he was drunk.”

“Oh, well then let’s go.”

We rushed out of the house and into my dad’s old pick up. I dug in the glove box and pulled out a set of keys. I found the right one and put it in the ignition. It started up with a jolt.

Jack looked at me, “I’ll tell you where to go, you just drive and listen.”

I nodded and put the truck in reverse. I backed out of the driveway and pulled onto the narrow road. We drove in silence, with the occasional “Turn here” or “We missed it, turn around.” It took about an hour of driving and turning around to get to a forest. It was pretty dead too, fallen trees and leaves scattered the forest floor.

“This is the place, come on,” Jack said. He jumped out of the truck, I hesitantly followed him. We followed no path, but he knew where to go. We walked for a solid forty five minutes before coming to a cabin.

“Where are we?” I asked.

“I found this place a while ago. I come here to be alone. If we’re hiding from society, this is the place. I’d rather go to the mansion, but I just know Jeff would be an asshole about this.”

He started towards the cabin, but I didn’t follow. I was looking at the scenery. It was beautiful, the cabin blended in with the woods perfectly.

“Hey, you spacing out?” I heard Jack say.

I looked at him and smiled, “It’s beautiful.”

“Well, are we going in or not?”

“Sure,” I said.

We walked up to the front door of the cabin. Jack opened the door and motioned for me to go in. I stepped in and was surprised. There was a red couch in front of a TV and in the corner, a fire place burning.

“Well, welcome home for now,” Jack still had his mask on, but I could tell he was smiling at me.