Hold On (SakuAtsu & IwaOi)

A bonus day of Haikyuu Angst Week 2020

Tier: 1, 2 & 3: Tears, Sacrifice, and "Has it always been this quiet?"

-*-

Atsumu sat on the same spot Oikawa and him would occupy in the cafe they frequent. He was tapping his finger on the hot cup filled with dark coffee as he waits for his friend. He had his lips pressed into a thin line as he tries his best to suppress the tears that were brimming in his eyes. He couldn't help but think about how Sakusa had turned his back on him and the humiliation he felt as he begs for him to stay. The words thrown at him by Sakusa's friends would always sting his heart, and the more he thinks about it, the lower he feels as he's reminded of how low he had sunk for Sakusa Kiyoomi.

A tear had already escaped his eye, and he wiped it with the back of his hand, and just as tears were ready to flow from his eyes freely, Oikawa had already pulled the chair in front of him and cupped his cheeks. He could hear Oikawa's ragged breathing, and he could see the beads of sweat rolling on the side of his face as he says, "I'm sorry, I was late. Are you all alright? Why are you crying?"

Oikawa's palms felt nice on Atsumu's cheeks and his lips slowly curved into a smile as slight comfort start to warm his heart. "It's alright, Toto-kun," he whispered and held Oikawa's hands. He leaned into it and closed his eyes as he takes a deep breath. He needed to gather enough courage before he tells his friend what happened. He didn't want to break down as he tells how Sakusa scoffed when his friends scorned and degraded him.

"Sakusa broke up with me," Atsumu whispered. A sob escaped his lips, and he ended up breaking down in front of Oikawa. The brunette stood up and wrapped his arms around the blonde, who was trembling. Atsumu gulped as he wraps his arms around Oikawa, his fingers tightly gripping his friend's long sleeve as he cries into his shoulder.

They couldn't tell how long they remained silent as Atsumu cries his heart out. They didn't care if people were staring, it was none of their business, so when Atsumu was done, Oikawa went back to his seat and ordered them some food before they resumed conversing. Atsumu's eyes were red and puffy as he stares blankly into the black liquid that filled his cup.

"Are you okay with telling me what happened?" Oikawa asked after their orders were placed on the table. Atsumu's lips curved into a sad smile as he answers, "yeah,"

Atsumu took a deep breath and started with his story, "Sakusa asked me to meet him in his apartment. I didn't know he'd break up with me there. But what I didn't expect the most was he'd do it in front of his friends,"

Atsumu could see how Oikawa's grip on his glass tightened, but he chose to ignore it, "did you beg?" Oikawa asked, and Atsumu nodded.

"I did. I asked him not to go, I got on my knees and told him I'd do anything for him," Atsumu narrated; his tears started to cloud his vision, so he harshly wiped his tears away with the back of his hand before continuing, "I begged, but it wasn't enough. I could hear his friends mocking me. It hurts so bad, but I didn't want to let go of him. They were filming it, and Sakusa didn't do anything. He just laughed when I groveled,"

Atsumu could hear the trembling of his voice as he tells Oikawa everything. His chest felt so tight, and it felt like needles were pricking his heart. It was so painful that it was getting hard to breathe, but he couldn't stop crying. He clutched his chest and hunched his back as if he was curling himself into a ball.

"You groveled?" Oikawa asked in disbelief, groveling was the lowest a person could go, and Atsumu could tell Oikawa wasn't happy. Atsumu could hear the rage in his voice, and he was too scared to look up and see what kind of expression Oikawa was making. Though Oikawa looked pretty on regular days, he was scary when he's mad.