I Just Can't Wait Another Day

March 1, 2007 

 "Dougie, I swear, if you did something illegal you have to face the consequences." Harry says, shaking his head. I sit on the couch opposite Harry, Tom, and Danny. We're on the upper level of the tour bus because I told the boys I needed to talk to them without anyone else around, and currently, everyone else is in the venue.

"I didn't do anything illegal." I say. I told the guys I had to tell them something serious and that's what their minds immediately went to. So insulting.

"Then what is it?" Tom asks. "It can't be that bad, whatever it is. You're really worrying me, Dougie."

"You don't have to worry," I say. "But you may think differently of me. And you can't tell anyone what I'm about to tell you."

"Oh! I don't want to hear!" Danny says worriedly, covering his ears.

"Danny." I say, giving him a look as if to say, you already know.

"Oh." Danny says, uncovering his ears. "Right."

"Look," I say. "I've been lying to you. But I've been doing it because...to be honest, I'm sort of scared."

"Is something wrong?" Tom asks, clearly worried.

"No." I shake my head. "But, before I tell you, I need you guys to know. McFly means...the world to me. And so do all of you. You're my family- my brothers. And...there's something I had to do, even though I know...maybe...I shouldn't have. But-" I shake my head. "I couldn't help it."

"We know that." Tom smiles, but I can still see the anxiety in his face.

"What is it, Dougie?" Harry asks. "I mean, you're making this worse for us and yourself." He looks from Tom to Danny to me and chuckles nervously.

You can't keep it a secret forever.

Here we go.

"Lilly and I are in a relationship...we're...dating."

"Whaaaaaaaaaat?" Danny says, looking at Harry and Tom.

Cool it, Danny. You're not getting an Oscar for this performance.

I look at Tom and Harry. They aren't saying anything. They look blank. Oh God, oh no, oh God...

Say something! SAY ANYTHING!

I break down, I've gotta get them to talk.

"Are you gonna kick me out of the band?" I say quietly.

Suddenly, it looks as though Harry and Tom have been snapped out of a trance they'd just been caught in.

"What, are you crazy?" Tom asks.

Oh no.

"Of course we aren't kicking you out of the band, Dougie!" Harry says, looking at Tom and then back at me.

"I can't believe this!" Tom smiles, giddy. "That's awesome, Doug!"

"Wha- but you said it was against the rules." I say. Now I'm confused.

"Yeah two years ago!" Tom laughs. "When we were just starting out! Dougie, I'd never want you to hide if this makes you happy!"

"Does it?" Harry asks suddenly. "I mean- does she make you happy?" I smile.

Of course, that's what they're worried about. I can't believe I thought it would be any other way.

"Yeah." I smile, trying not to be all gross because I know they'll play taunt me if I do.