Chapter 21

Hello lovely people, the festive season is near, I can't wait I love Christmas. Happy reading. Sorry for the tortoise updates. :-) :-) :-)

______________________________________

The morning came after a restless night and with it came my problems that I had wished to disappear with the darkness of the night. I had woken up early because I kept tossing and turning and thought why not use that energy on cleaning the guest rooms and the library. To my misfortune Nikolai had not forgotten about last night or what he said.

I had really hoped that he was drunk and had a blackout or something, but of course not. Which is why I am sitting opposite him in his office with his lawyer, Yulia and Ivan with our mouths open except for yours truly Mr Mafia Nikolai.

"Mr. Volkov are you sure about this?." Asked his lawyer Miss Agatha Thompson.

Nikolai glares at her before looking at us one by one.

"I am sure. I never make a decision unless I am absolutely sure about it." He states.

"If you say so Sir." Agatha is not convinced at all.

But to be clear none of us in his office are. I glance to Yulia and Ivan but they both shrugged at me, as they don't have a clue what's going on in his mind as well.

"Well silence is golden and I take it we should proceed with the arrangements of the wedding?." Nikolai asks.... or is a statement.

My mind returns to working as it was temporary out of service and I snap out of my daze.

"Wait, why do you want to marry me, I don't understand?" I ask the proverbial question

He sighs and clenches the bridge of his nose as if he is bored of explaining the same thing to a stupid person.

"I told you already, I need to fool my father and the Association of Mafias that I am dependable and the only way to do that is if I have a wife." He grinds the last word through his teeth.

If the situation was not so dire for me I would have actually laughed at the way he said wife. So instead I inquire.

"What's in it for me?"

"What do you mean, I own you, your life belongs to the mafia now and you will do whatever I want you to do, whenever and however......... He pauses......... unless you are being defiant and you know I award that with punishment." He smirked seeing my reaction.

My dark complexion doesn't pale or flush but I sure as hell felt like I was white as paper at that moment.

Seeing how scared I was Yulia interjected.

"Hey you can't expect her to do that for nothing, everyone in the mafia is paid for their services, whether or not they have taken omerta." Yulia said

I saw he wanted to argue but when he glanced at his friend and sister he caved in.

"Fine what do you want Miss Lelo?" He asked with a raised eyebrow.

I am sure it was because he was wondering what it is that I wanted.

"Without any doubt I want my freedom." I said matter of fact.

"I can't say that I am surprised that, that's what you want. "Ivan said with a sympathetic look on his face.

In fact all of them seemed to have expected that one from me.

"Is the anything else you want on top of your freedom?" Nikolai asked.

I shook my head no and quickly added "No."

It was silent for a minute then Nikolai turned to Miss Thompson

"When you draw the contract add R10 million to the contract and state that the contract is valid if the marriage last for one year. 365 days and not a day short or a day more and it must be ready before the wedding which is in a week." He said

"I don't need anything else my freedom stated in bold will do." I said quickly as I saw she was packing her things and leaving.

She froze mid-packing and looked at "Mr Nikolai" for confirmation.

To which Nikolai said she should ignore me and she left with a nod of her head in our direction on the couch.

I glared at him, I don't want his money and not because it's blood money but because I don't want anything from a man who nearly killed me because I wanted my birth right which is my freedom and had to escape to get it even. Aaaaaargh he frustrates me all the time.

Yulia and I both left the office leaving Ivan and Nikolai.

"You know this marriage is not so bad, in the end you get your life back and R10 million girl." She said excitedly.

"I wish I could be excited, but will I have to sleep with him and do wifely duties. He said nothing about that or will it be stated in the contract as well? Yulia I don't know if I can have sex with him, I am not experienced as his lovers and I don't think I want to in general.! And he said the contract is valid if the marriage lasts a year, what if after two months he decides to divorce me? Where does that leave me?" Oh God I am screwed.

As I was rambling Yulia was having the time of her life laughing at me. Eventually I joined her and laughed hard too, please don't blame me, her laugh was contagious and it eased the burden a little bit.

"You know what, we should call Nicole and celebrate." She suggested.

"I don't think that's a good idea, I have work to do and besides I don't see this as worthy of a celebration." I said feeling melancholy about everything.

"Nonsense, you just negotiated your freedom and your way out of this life and your going to be my sister in-law." She retorted back.

"Still its not a real marriage and we are not married yet and I am sure he still expects me to work." I retorted back lamely.

"Not as of right now you will never work as a maid, I will inform Matilda and you will be moved to one of the beautiful guest rooms until my brother decides if you will share his chambers or not." She smirked saying that last bit.

"I think your enjoying yourself too much about my situation." I laughed saying that, but I didn't feel the humour in my laughter.

"Of course I am. Look go and change into one of those outfits you got on our shopping trip and we will leave in 30 minutes tops."

I groaned and went in the direction of my staff quarters. Once there I decide I needed a shower to distress and unwind from the events of this morning. When I was done getting ready and sitting on my bed waiting for Yulia to barge in I contemplated about the situation I got myself in. It was for my freedom at least that comforted me but another kept me thinking what if this is a mistake and I am trapped here forever. No I can't allow myself to think like that. All will be well and in one year after the wedding I will be heading home to my family and get my life back.

Unless he is not a man of his word and changes his mind and dictate the situation like he always do, to benefit him only. No I can't think like that in fact to get my piece of mind I will need to have the signed copy as well.

Okay breathe Lelo you got this, I chanted to myself the mantra until I felt somewhat better and maybe enjoying myself with my friends will be like I have my freedom already.

______________________________________

Please don't forget to vote and comment xoxoxoxo and happy festive season