#7 Needle In The Hay Stack

"Now it's just the two of us" David smirks

"Oh joy" I roll my eyes

"What was that, number 1?" I had to distract him somehow or he'd blow his stack

"Did you just call me number 1?" I cringe at the name referring to my jail number. It just reminds me that I'm not free.

"Yes. You are prisoner number 1" 'duh' was the only time offered in that sentence.

"Here's the deal. Your name is David and mine is Sophie. I call you David you call me Sophie" I speak like he's a baby.

"Don't talk to me like that" he scowls

"People around here just don't get names" I mutter then turn and walk out the door towards the office where I would be sowing, while David yells curses and complainants about me leaving the room while he was talking.

I walk in the door and grab the top piece of clothing off of the pile on the desk. I pick one of the many needles provided and a coloured thread to match the beautiful, rich persons top.

It was in a light green, pastel colour with a button down front. I carry fully start threading the needle when David slams open the door.

"Don't you leave when I am talking to you!!" He roars in anger

"Whatever" I mumble as I pull the thread through the close to impossible hole.

"Don't whatever me!!" He yells, his face bright red.

"Understood" I stop and look up at him because he was disturbing my work.

"Don't be sarcastic with me" he growls

"That wasn't sarcasm. Can I work now?" I sigh

"Yeah. Do something useful you piece of scum" his anger was making me angry.

I place down the top and push the needle into the fabric on my shorts so I wouldn't lose it, then I march up to him.

"It's not my fault I'm poor. I wouldn't be if the rich shared and if my parents didn't give me away!" Ever with a heads height over me I wasn't backing down.

He grinned down at me at this new piece of information "parents didn't want something as ugly as you?" I opened my moth to comment but he started talking again "no wait, I got it! They knew you were born to live in the dirt"

I look away from him. This was my weak spot.

Family.

I look back at him hard with tears threatening my eyes. "I may be poor but at least I'm not working at this crap jail trying to earn every last cent so I don't have to fall to the poor, scummy level. I was raised with the truth of the world. I was loved more then riches and I'm not softened by what this world has to offer"

"That's a load of $h1t!" He laughs "if you were loved you wouldn't have been left. Who are your real parents? I wanna show them what became of their daughter"

"I made my fake parents proud and if I ever met my real ones, maybe they'd be proud too. Parents are meant to love a child. Is your mother and father proud of you for scoring such a low class job?" I spit

"My father hates this place. He wanted a farmer and mother... you have no place in my life..."

"And you none in mine"

"...It's personal..."

"And mines not?"

"I'm not lowering myself to your level!"

That was a low blow.

I glare hatred at him and he laughs. "What are you going to do?"

"I'm going to go back to my sowing cause I'm talented and more humane than even the finest race" I spin on my heel and go to walk towards my chair when he grabs the back of my collar.

I wrap my hands around his and lean forward bringing him over me and smashing down onto the sowing pile, breaking the old wooden table under it.

He gets to his feet and breath heavily. He runs at me and pushes me against the wall. He starts punching wildly at me and misses every second one.

I kick him off me with my legs and he stumbles to the floor.

I wanted to call Ben, like he told me to if I needed him but I don't back down at a fight. I can take care of myself.

I plant me feet firm and he walks slowly towards me. "For a girl you fight well"

"Only the best for little poor me" I say between my teeth

"I bet you do" he swings for my stomach and I block and give him a smirk and wink but as I do he knees me in the stomach.

I fall to the ground for a second.

A second to long.

I try to get up but he continuously kicks at me and one lands to the head. I roll over to try and protect the delicate parts of my body. He stops licking and leans over me.

"Your worthless! You belong below me! I will make my father proud, I have beaten you! Sophie Newman!" He still sounds angry.

"The Other Side always win!" I whimper as I get to my feet. I throw myself right at him and take him down under my weight. I grab his shocked face in my hands and slam his head back against the ground.

His eyes close for a second and I scramble off him and dash from the room.

I run in the garden, where Max is working, and faint right at Ben's and Max's feet.